Old stoves from past years.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Old stoves from past years.

Post by gary c. »

rlown wrote:I still want to know what you cook on..
Don't you they just scream pork and beans? :D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I love this thread and echo rlown's request. Good recommendation on the Nova btw. I have the old one with the cejn connection and it is far superior to the newer piece of junk.

Ladd
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

Great stoves! Keep them coming.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Eric! Dude!:) The Image Optimizer over on Classic Camp Stoves is what I fine easy to use unless on my home puter, then with my old phone lines takes forever, it is easier at my moms during the week. Besides, I'm sure Nancy and others have filled in Sierra info.

I have user stoves, no shelf queens except for those that have not been rotated out for a car camp or bp trip. Most of my stoves are from the 50's-70's with some after that like the DragonFly. I have a few from the 20's. The 41 pictured above was heating up some water when it ran out of fuel, other wise, it would have pulled its weight instead of weighing me down. This is my motivation to get out more since Pooch passed on. I have so many, I usually bring two or three stoves per trip, so if a jet plugs up or like last Spring the external pump was not up to speed, I have backups. Cool, backups. Out of my over 80 stoves now, only one needs work to run and one more some readjusting. I have some pics of stoves in use, but these photos show them better. I'll have to take more pics this weekend, so may be a delay getting more pics up as these are pics from the last year or so. Maybe I can post a few Alaska pics from three? years ago. Man.

My Campingo two burner, kero fired.
Yamaha LUV 196_opt.jpg
Radius 17.
Yamaha LUV 201_opt.jpg
Optimus 111
Yamaha LUV 202_opt.jpg
The pictured before Optimus 11 Explorer and a Primus Pocket 96, both running. I have the paintfree tin for the 96 also.
Alaska stoves etc 142_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

My Optimus 8/8R collection. A newer 8R upper left, embossed 8, lower left an old 8, then a embossed 8R.
old stoves 11-11-2012 003_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 004_opt.jpg

My Coleman Power Max stoves, all three. Double burner Xpedition, four legged Xpert, three legged Xtreme. I obtained a bunch of discontinued Powermax canisters last Spring, did not know
how long the supply at a fair price would last.
old stoves 11-11-2012 005_opt.jpg
My newest stove a Trail Designs 12-10 (Caldera Cone) stove with my smallest pot, a Evernew .6 L pot. Has not been used on a trip yet, but in testing on a car camp trip, had a very fast boil time for 1.5 cups water. What does not make sense in more than one way, the pot is shorter and the "cone" is the same height as the one for my larger and taller REI .9 L pot , meaning the smaller pot is further from the flame. More use to come on this light and compact setup.
old stoves 11-11-2012 007_opt.jpg
A couple more Coleman stoves a Exponent F1 and its larger brother/sister a F1 Powerboost. The smaller F1 is a real powerhouse, it was given to me by Paige as it would not shut off. I had it working properly when I got it home in five minutes. Nothing a little oil in the right places could not solve. A good lesson on important pieces of gear, take care of them. I don't leave my stoves outside any more. They can collect dew or rain, not good for parts that can rust. Most stoves we use are around 9,000-10,000 btu's, the little F1 is around 12,600-13,000 btu's, can't recall how much.
old stoves 11-11-2012 008_opt.jpg
One shot of my Svea 123/123R's and the Sigg Tourist set.
old stoves 11-11-2012 009_opt.jpg
A good shot of the three differing models/years. A 123R on the left, notice the spindle is flat, not angled down like the older 123's. The 123 in the middle is maybe from the 80's, while the one on the right is older from the late 70's to very early 80's, got it from the original owner who supplied the denin stuff sack. This one is older as you can tell from the vaporizer, it does not have any rings/ribs on the vaporizer. It works the best of the three. The "R" models have a cleaning needle under the jet.
old stoves 11-11-2012 011_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piece of cake.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Think you were better off grabbing the 8R you did. The one in the picture looks cherry. The 8R I sold before finding out you wanted it, while in great condition, was not as nice as that one.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Eric, I picked up a great running 8R that had the paint burned off the bottom and not taken too good care of. Ran great, sold it after I painted it and added some thin sheeting to the inside bottom. Another fellow bper from the NorthCA Hiking group. $10.
Duane
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

old stoves 11-11-2012 013_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 014_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 015_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 016_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 017_opt.jpg
old stoves 11-11-2012 018_opt.jpg
I also should add, the model 9 was MSR's first stove in case you are not aware of that.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Duane.....That is some collecton of stoves..I had no idea about a lot of them.
I still have my wonderful old SVEA 123..that stove worked great on many backpacking trips..not working anymore and I could probably get it worked on...but have not...do they even still make them?

How have you been?

Anita
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Hi Anita, have not heard how you and your husband are. Good to see you posting.
I'll bet your 123 just needs a new "O" ring or gasket on the cap.
Duane
Piece of cake.