95 Days in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 95 Days in the Sierra

Post by lostcoyote »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Nope, I knew there are petroglyphs there but I didn't know where since most people don't like to reveal that sort of thing.
there are identified to the exact spot on the 7.5 minute USGS map.... unfortunately.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Regarding bugs, I have run into really thick swarms of gnat-like bugs in the boulders on the shoreline of high lakes. One of the worst places was Tulinyo Lake. Anther was Catherine Lake. They swarm and it feels like the bite, but I did not have any welts. What are these?

Deer flies and horse flies are almost worse than mosquitoes. They actually take a chunk of skin from you when they bite. The flies and other swarming bugs seem to be thicker in the late season. I wonder if there is even a bug-free season in Tehipite Valley. What makes Tehipite Valley such a buggy environment?

I thought the time it took you to get down the lower part of Goddard Creek was pretty amazing. It did not sound nice at all, but you made better time than I had expected. I have a photo of myself after a day of bushwhaking in a Wyoming canyon, and it is so greusome, that I will not show it to anyone! Loved that self portrait of yours. It says it all.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I know the ones you mean along shore lines. Due to that I have always called them shore flies. I have had them swarm on me so thick it was a black cloud in front of me and my entire body was covered in them. I have never had any problems with them biting though. The thing I dislike about them is they are small and when they swarm me I am always afraid of breathing them in so i'll throw my hand over my mouth and nose while I move through them.

Come on we all want to see your photo! :p

I honestly think Goddard Creek would be a good place to build a trail. It's a beautiful canyon and it would open up another direct route North and South.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Rogue, Just saw this TR while searching for something: outstanding report! You camped in many of the same places I have, so it was deja-vu all over again reading through it. Wow, I would not wish the Goddard Creek bushwack on anybody. Your description sounded exactly like the Muro Blanco bushwack I did, right down to your camp as light was fading. Bush, or talus, or bush and talus. A punishing hike and not at all fun, except to say the Muro Blance is probably more scenic than Goddard Creek judging by the pictures. You will never forget that trip. Thanks for the TR!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's a long one for sure. I should read it again myself. Maybe it can spark some inspiration for writing this year.

My last post had me flipping through the John Muir Laws book again but I still cannot find those damn shore flies. Someone help us all out on this one!

If we ever get a trail report section of the forum I will repost this so it's all together instead of across many pages with replies.
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Rock Slide

Post by dbogey »

Awesome trip report - I started reading yesterday and just finished it late today. We were on top of Windy Ridge in September and I snapped this shot of that rock slide and commented on how I'd like to hike "UP" Goddard. Wont be doing that after reading your post

I really enjoyed reading your entries. You have a knack for writing that I'd pursue if I were in your shoes. Keep up the hiking and make sure to post more reports.
Just another day in paradise
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Sounds like all this trail time provided you a lot of soul searching time.

Quite an endeavor to be out for 100 days. I know I could not do that, so I will live vicariously through your posts.

On a side note, I'd be thrilled if my dad would come with me. pretty cool to have a game dad like you do. Take it easy on him!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

You have amazed me over the past two seasons. Keep it up.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Lol it's all in good humor when I think back to planning for this hike. When you all told me I was crazy and I didn't know crap about backpacking and that I should just stay on the JMT. :moon:

It's true that staying out there that long lets you do allot of soul searching but it doesn't do much for me because I figured out who I am along time ago and I wouldn't change that. The things that plague my life are things that cannot be changed yet cannot be lived with.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Lol it's all in good humor when I think back to planning for this hike.
:nod: Now put the shoe on the other foot. If someone like you comes on this BBS and proposes a similar undertaking, what will you say? :unibrow:
Oh, I just saw you are from Bakersfield. I was born in Oildale, and lived for a while with my "Grapes of Wrath" grandparents (and parents) in Wasco. Except for passing through, have not been back in decades.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;