Sierra Maclure (Karen Najarian) no longer associated with RE

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sierra Maclure (Karen Najarian) no longer associated with RE

Post by SierraMaclure »

Some of you may know me from here and some of you might have run into me in the Yos. backpackers camps or on the trail. I've been teaching backpacking for the last 15 years, a lot of that through REI Adventures. My company, Sierra Spirit, ran all 8 REI Yosemite trips. Last summer we had 260 clients and 28 trips, our best year ever. We were the most successful vendor in the whole weekend category. New management arrived at REI last April. They fired me last Wed. and are hiring a huge multi-million dollar company (based in the SW that knows nothing about Yosemite) to replace me. It was out of the blue. I built this from scratch out of my dining room and garage. They will run what I created but it won't be the same. Sierra Spirit will go on and make a go of it independently. We're not done spreading the magic of the Sierra. Spread the word. sierraspirit.biz
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Re: Sierra Maclure (Karen Najarian) no longer associated with RE

Post by RichardCullip »

That sucks. :( :(

Good luck with your new/continued venture.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

What a shame, and shame on them.

No doubt there are thousands of people that have benefitted and enjoyed their back country experiences thanks to you.

Best of luck to you.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Laid off 3 times. Came back twice. HP lays off on Mondays. They have it down to a science. Every Monday was scary.

Glad you're doing it on your own! Your staffers look competent based on your website. Hope they stayed with you.. A weird year or two.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Yep, seems to be common place these days. I was laid off and was able to come back. You have great skills, a great team, and great knowledge on how to run a business. You'll be like the Phoenix....go get 'em!