Topo map postings?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Topo map postings?

Post by tomba »

For posting routes I have used Hillmap, as described here. See example. Other features include side-by-side view of different map types, map printing, slope analysis, snow coverage overlay.

One could also us Caltopo for this, as described here - more powerful drawing, but harder to use. Other features include overlaying two map types, historical maps, visitor (NPS, NFS) maps, map printing.

I have also used Closed Contour to show features that most other maps don't show - such as dome names, locations of talus, or detailed degree of vegetation coverage.

For a simple map of some area I use gmap4.

For planning I use mostly gmap4 with mountain passes added by me. Mentioned here.

Of course I also check mountain passes on the HST map - information there is different.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

You could also consider a dynamic map using ArcGIS Explorer Online. (arcgisonline.com/explorer). You create a free Esri account and then have a place to store maps and data, making them private or available to the public. There's map tools to draw lines, points and polygons and label them. You can then save the map to your account. The Share function allows an address to the map; posting on Twitter or Facebook; or getting the html to embed in a web page.

For posting to the forum, you also have the option to create a Presentation/slide show. I've not used that and, like all of this stuff, there's a learning curve, but it looks to give a lot of flexibility as far as showing details of a route as well as being able to change the base map -- topo, satellite etc. Esri's great advantage is a huge collection of base maps.

g.
wingman
Topix Newbie

Post by wingman »

NG TOPO! maps:

I asked NG about windows 8 and the TOPO state series being compatible and here was their response:

"Unfortunately, TOPO! is not compatible with Windows 8.

TOPO! was discontinued before the release of Windows 8."

There are no upgrades or substitutions. TOPO! still runs on the operating systems that are listed as compatible on the box.

Not sure what other mapping software will allow us to flag waypoints and then download them to a GPS (mine is a Garmin 60Cxs0.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

gdurkee wrote:You could also consider a dynamic map using ArcGIS Explorer Online. (arcgisonline.com/explorer). You create a free Esri account and then have a place to store maps and data, making them private or available to the public. There's map tools to draw lines, points and polygons and label them. You can then save the map to your account. The Share function allows an address to the map; posting on Twitter or Facebook; or getting the html to embed in a web page.

g.
I've been playing with the ArcGIS Explorer Online and it's great for creating and sharing trips with people to follow along. One problem I'm having though is I cannot add pictures to my feature pop-up windows. I've read the help file and it appears that the Explorer Online version does not support https URLs (I'm trying to link to my Google Photos account). I'm going to try the free Desktop version to see if that works.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wingman wrote:NG TOPO! maps:

I asked NG about windows 8 and the TOPO state series being compatible and here was their response:

"Unfortunately, TOPO! is not compatible with Windows 8.

TOPO! was discontinued before the release of Windows 8."

There are no upgrades or substitutions. TOPO! still runs on the operating systems that are listed as compatible on the box.

Not sure what other mapping software will allow us to flag waypoints and then download them to a GPS (mine is a Garmin 60Cxs0.
Garmin has their own mapping SW. I still use mapsource (their sw).. I have two mapsets from them the 2008 set for the US and the Western NPS set. I can freely upload tracks and download maps from either set to the Rino 530.

There is a new mapset, but at 129 buxx, I haven't pulled the trigger.

The NPS set is at a better granularity than the general 2008 US map.

Russ
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Feetfirst: Yes, I had that problem. It links to some photo sites, but not others. Check the help forum at Esri -- I fiddled with that last year but can't remember what I did. I do know that one of my Esri buddies has posted points with popups allowing a set of photos you can click through.

Hmm. Try these:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/gisedcom/201 ... e-process/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/gisedcom/201 ... rst-steps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read carefully that one because it has you checking the photograph properties to link directly to the jpg. I vaguely remember trying it and it worked... .

Would be good to post here on how you did it or couldn't do it.

Thanks,

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Wingman. Try DNR GPS, the latest version of DNR Garmin. It's a great utility that will both download from a GPS and upload to it. You have to remember that the Garmin 60 won't accept lines, only points and waypoints. Not sure how it does routes, I've not experimented with that. You can then Save downloaded GPS files as gpx, shp (for ArcGIS stuff), csv. If you also get GPS Babel, you can convert to a huge number of other format -- Magellan etc. Both are free, though I think GPS Babel asks for a donation.

I will here modestly recommend a book I co-authored: Using GIS for Wildland Search and Rescue, by Esri Press (available free as a PDF download at MapSAR.net). Although it's aimed towards SAR, it's actually a pretty good primer on all things GIS: Coordinate systems, using a GPS, transferring data, making basic maps with ArcGIS Explorer desktop.

I'm also developing a fully online class: The GIS Essentials, which will cover the basics of this stuff. It'll be awhile, but will be offered online through Columbia College in Sonora, CA. May at the earliest, but quite possibly not until next fall.

Oh. PS: there are several advantages to ArcGIS Explorer Desktop. If you have your own digital maps, it works without an Internet connection. You can get almost any digital map type (both USGS Topos and all scales and satellite imagery) for free, store what you're likely to use on your hard drive. It'll also download "basemaps" -- either topo or imagery -- when you're connected as well. Which is to say it doesn't depend on propitiatory digital maps like Garmin, Magellan etc. The book we wrote gives places to get the maps from (and I think Eric has links elsewhere on the forum).

g.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

gdurkee wrote:Feetfirst: Yes, I had that problem. It links to some photo sites, but not others. Check the help forum at Esri -- I fiddled with that last year but can't remember what I did. I do know that one of my Esri buddies has posted points with popups allowing a set of photos you can click through.

Hmm. Try these:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/gisedcom/201 ... e-process/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/gisedcom/201 ... rst-steps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read carefully that one because it has you checking the photograph properties to link directly to the jpg. I vaguely remember trying it and it worked... .

Would be good to post here on how you did it or couldn't do it.

Thanks,

g.

Hi gdurkee, Thank you for the suggestions, but unfortunately it's still not working for me. I'm familiar with the types of links provided in Google's Picas Web Albums and I believe I'm using the correct one and just to be sure I've tried all different styles (e.g. direct URL, html). Here's the link to the photo in the format that seems correct to me: ("https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-b58w ... G_7361.JPG").

I've read the help files, instructions, and various web forums (including the links you provided - thanks), but they seem to focus on using the correct image link, which I don't think is the problem I'm experiencing.

Here's a link to my test map in ArcGIS Explorer Online ("AGEO"). Note the "Camp #1" feature pop-up and how I've attempted to link a photo: http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=b4 ... 6.23208214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

OK. It is a bit frustrating, but I just got it to work with Flickr following the instructions here:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/ ... -web-maps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the HTML source code, you choose the one with a direct link to the jpg -- which you've done, so not sure what's happening there, but I don't have a googleusercontent account -- assume that's a photo storage place? Hmm. I probably do have one. Let me check. OK. I got it to work from within my Google+ Photo account. I clicked on the photo in the album, then right clicked on the photo to "copy image location" and got this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tV8w ... all%29.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

That worked as a popup. I entered in both Image URL & Image Link URL. Next will figure out how to do a series... .

Also make sure you set the permission of the photo to Public... .

As a start, test with the fireplug example used in the Esri blog instructions, then work from there. That's what I did to start.

Hope this helps.

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

This might be getting way too geeky, but a very cool looking technique for putting photos on routes:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/ ... a-web-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g.