Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Alternate (maverick's) search thread.

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Nice effort Shawn. You did what you could. :thumbsup:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Thank you Shawn for being there!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

ironmike wrote:
papasequoia wrote:
Shawn wrote:These guys are obviously very strong and dedicated given their full packs and speed of their ascent. After some discussion I made the choice to forego my look around the lake given the circumstances and choosing to not interfere with their actions. While personally disappointing, it's clear these three are the experts and frankly I must have looked a bit out of place with binoculars hanging around my neck and being solo. I felt this is best for the fundamental objective of finding Larry, so I hung out for a bit and then hiked back to the trail head.
It sounds like you made the best choice, Shawn. Good to hear that there are still some searchers after the news release said they were suspending the search. Thanks go out to you and the group from here and to the SAR folks.
Actually when SEKI said they were suspending *their* search, it seemed unclear if this means that all coordinating agencies (such as INF) were following suit in other jurisdictions. Since Inyo is continuing their efforts, it appears that this was not a blanket decision. Thank goodness!
I was in Lone Pine late Saturday afternoon and saw a Sierra Madre SAR Team van. I know they were part of the SEKI search, but I'm not sure if they were still involved. Just throwin' it out there.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Nice effort Shawn. You did what you could. :thumbsup:
+1
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Thank you Shawn, for your effort and for reporting back so quickly
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

Hi folks,

Here's a summary of my search:

I rolled into Bishop at about 3am Saturday morning, napped an hour off a road, got to Sawmill TH at just before 5am, no other cars in the lot. After some fumbling, hit the trail at 5:30.

I got the initial slog done at right around 7-ish. This view of the canyon is really impressive, but I have to say, if he went down there, it would be pretty hairy to search that area...
canyon.JPG
Sawmill meadow around 9:30, an indication that snow level starts at 9000 ft with patches here and there.
sawmillmeadow.JPG
After that, I noticed that someone has been here before me! I could see footprints and hiking pole markings from what I initially thought was one person and one really small person going both directions, but the small person turned out to be a deer :rolleyes: . I didn't think the footprints were Larry's though since they were bi-directional.

Reached the pass at about 2pm, since a patch of trail invited me to nap there and I napped over an hour! Here's the view towards Mt Baxter and some indication of snow conditions up there:
passeast.JPG
Got back to the trailhead at around 7pm without seeing other signs of people being on the trail.

Sunday, I drove up to the 2wd trailhead for Armstrong Canyon and hit the trail at 7am (yes that is considering DST time change). Got to the top around 10 and while the upper reaches of the canyon might look delicious to someone experienced, it intimidated me out since it was patchy snow on loose talus. I had promised mission control that I would do no serious crosscountry so I had to turn around:
armstrong.JPG
But not before checking this cave or something, which had no signs of anyone being there:
cave.JPG
Back down the trail, I noticed a white towel but I had no reason to suspect it belonged to Larry. Back to the car at noonish.

Since I'm not pro, I can't say if I searched with enough scrutiny, I carried a whistle and blew it as regularly as I could and shouted as much as possible, but no reply and no other clues. I admit that few things make me sad, but this was something that made me shed a tear or two. I hope that maverick and sparky return safely as well, and maybe find some clues.
Paco
Topix Newbie

Post by Paco »

Just some points of clarification-

The map put out buy SEKI only displays GPS data and some digitized data for searches that SEKI was responsible for, thus only stuff west of the crest. It does not include Inyo SAR gps or agencies coordinating for eastside searches with Inyo SAR. SEKI has lots of GIS help available for SAR and the Inyo County Sheriff does not. (if anyone living in Inyo county wants to be a volunteer mapper, they should show up to an Inyo County SAR meeting and let them know!).

Be aware, Inyo National Forest essentially does not participate in Search and Rescue. All of the eastside SAR is coordinated by The Inyo County Sherrif, with help from other volunteer agencies if they call for mutual aid. the NPS has exclusive jurisdiction in parks, the national forest does not, so there is a big difference in the way SAR is managed.
Last edited by Paco on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

canukyea wrote:Hi folks, Here's a summary of my search:
Your photos really show how rugged that area is. That fact that you went up-down and then up-down again on those major passes is a testament to your own skill & experience.

Hopefully, Mav will reconsider some of his remarks upon his return. Larry was in some of the most extreme parts of the Sierra - not an easy area to search for an overdue hiker.
bkpkr
Topix Novice

Post by bkpkr »

Hobbes wrote:Hopefully, Mav will reconsider some of his remarks upon his return.
Leave Mav alone. Stop judging him. Be grateful he organized and went for the search along with other volunteers.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

bkpkr wrote:
Hobbes wrote:Hopefully, Mav will reconsider some of his remarks upon his return.
Leave Mav alone. Stop judging him. Be grateful he organized and went for the search along with other volunteers.
I don't think any of us are judging him. We just want him back on here. I think that this whole deal should be a lesson to all of us. Leaving a a trail plan with someone should be mandatory and then stick to it. I don't care how good you are off trail ANYTHING can happen.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.