Mt Sill (14,153') - 5 day trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Looks like a great trip! Awesome pictures, that's an area I have been dying to get to the last few years (only made it so far as thunderbolt pass a few years ago in early spring). Looking forward to days 4 and 5...
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Awesome trip!!!! Tried to do it in '99, but only made it to the ridge above Potluck; still a highlight on my list of trips! What a fantastic area, and your pics are great! Some fairly challenging sections, too! Great teamwork with Snowdude! =D> Man, the views on that whole trip are just amazing. Thanks for taking the time for the great descriptions. :righton: Hopefully I'll get up there again soon!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

SN..what a fantastic trip this must have been for you two! The pictures are really beautiful.
I can't get over the one picture of the Marmot..everytime I think about her or him..I smile and laugh to myself..it's so cute yet funny :D The white shooting star I bet was something to see.

Congratulations to the both of you on Sill...Looks like the 5 days is the way to do it.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Mt Jepson - Day 4

Post by Snow Nymph »

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/553358527AVhKQJ

Day 4 of 5 - Jepson Peak, Potluck Pass, Barrett Lake

As we were heading back over Potluck Pass, we decided to do Jepson Pk. We dropped our packs, grabbed our jackets, water and snacks and dayclimbed Jepson. After, we backpacked over Potlulck Pass to Barrett Lake.[/b]
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, everyone! :D

We've been staring at that peak for a few years now. Once we climbed over Potluck Pass on our way to Lakes Basin, and thought about climbing Sill but didn't have the extra time to do it. On the JMT, it was at least a day out of our way so again we put it on the list for another trip. Sill has the best views in the Sierra, just like everyone said. Thanks to Langenbacher for the summitpost description and photos. Five days was just right for this trip. We even got Jepson, a spur of the moment decision. Awesome trip!
:rockon:

Trying to pack for the weekend and get Day 5 done before I leave . . .
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/553357923XKEDoR

Day 5 of 5 - Thunderbolt Pass - Bishop Pass - out South Lake

Hiked back to South Lake over Thunderbolt Pass and Bishop Pass. Beautiful area!

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

You guys do such great trips! And take us along with your photos... Thank you, thank you!

I couldn't find Thunderbolt Pass immediately, though. Is it the col that's immediately SW of Thunderbolt Peak?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

BSquared wrote:You guys do such great trips! And take us along with your photos... Thank you, thank you!

I couldn't find Thunderbolt Pass immediately, though. Is it the col that's immediately SW of Thunderbolt Peak?
Thanks! Yes, that's Thunderbolt Pass SW of the Peak. A lot of boulder scrambling for these short legs. On the way back we should've gone across the snow field. It was a lot easier on the way up. We spent a lot of time looking for the best way on the way down by following tracks of others.

Fun trip!

On my way out the door again, headed for Mammoth!

Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

SN- Congrats to you and Dude! Those boulder fields- ugh- I could almost feel the pain looking at the pics. Wow. Great accomplishment! Thanks again for the great route info and the adventure!
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Hey SN way to go!

If the wx holds I'm going to attempt Sill the last week of Sept.

Couple questions: Where abouts did you guys base camp before your climb, and approximately how long did it take to summit and get back to camp?

Thanks! :)