Finally gonna do the JMT highway this next summer!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Finally gonna do the JMT highway this next summer!

Post by ndwoods »

Saw a special on the JMT when I was 12...lets see, if I don't have alzheimers too bad I would calculate that to be 1965. I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my dad and when that came on I was blown away! I decided right then that someday I would do the JMT. Of course in later years that dream was supplanted by the PCT and the CDT. And I've hiked back and forth across the JMT off trail all over the Sierra as most of you here have too I bet. But, never actually did the JMT itself. So this next Aug my honey and I are doing it! Big Grin!!!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

nd,
Congrats,
I also am thinkin about it again - maybe only from Tuolumne to ... - Bishop ? or VVR, but it is the time to be thinkin and dreamin...
August huh. Starting where?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations! Let me know if you need help with a resupply. If I know early enough, I might be able to help on a weekend.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

nd, congrats on your good decision. I'm always thinking about hiking it again, but these days I just can't find that much consecutive time off.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I may see you up there! My tentative JMT schedule is to start on July 30th from Happy Isles :D. I don't anticipate any problems, permit-wise.

This will be a GREAT summer!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

My son and I did it two years ago (summer of 2004) and had a terrific time! I'd be happy to share equipment lists (we took too much), food lists (ditto), pictures, itinerary, etc., if you want. The icon on this post is us shaking hands at the end of the trail, the summit of Whitney.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

We'll be leaving mid Aug so will miss you Rosabella. But I'm sure we'll have fun exchanging tales afterwards!
Yes, would love to see your equip and meals lists especially BSquared!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

My brother and I are planning a South to North trip starting Aug 5th. We should cross somewhere in the middle. Good Luck!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Re: Finally gonna do the JMT highway this next summer!

Post by East Side Hiker »

First time I did the JMT was in 1966, Boy Scouts. I must have been 12. Our pack frames were made of wood. We did it in two halves over the summer. 10 days a half. The next summer, the older Scouts, me included, repeated it in one trip - I believe in 14 days. We were all Eagle Scouts. Always went south to north. At that time it wasn't wasn't referred to as a "highway," or a "dungway." Though there were alot of people on the trail.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Re: Finally gonna do the JMT highway this next summer!

Post by rrivera »

I will be doing the highway as well...from TM to Whitney...I'm not sure what permit gods I need to pray for to get a permit out of the valley but it didn't happen. I'll be headed out starting on 8/20 so maybe we'll run into each other.

While I am not looking to the throngs...it's still beautiful scenery and I'm really looking forward to going back through Evolution Valley.