Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The following information was posted on Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ website at http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today:

- news release

(If you do not see the entry for Oct. 29 on the webpage, click on the "Refresh" button once or twice and it should come up.)
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

lostcoyote wrote:

also note that white fork basin is JUST OUTSIDE the search area (south of the red line i drew on the map above) illustrated a few days ago:

Yes, that's the route.

Actually I just looked over my notes: I descended the pass into Marjorie Lake, northwest of the marked route. The other pass "goes" as well though steeper.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

as long as we're in speculation mode, I would have put Larry in the green area with a look over the edge. If he was moving slow on the way in, losing elevation to Bench would be problematic for the trip out.
8137260943_d60f4f8148.jpg
funny thing here is we're not Larry. It all depends on what was interesting to him and if he base camped or not. Seki SAR has ample resources on the ground and are hitting all the right areas supposedly.. I hope they beat the storm.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

rlown wrote:as long as we're in speculation mode, I would have put Larry in the green area with a look over the edge.
Yeah, I would think the green area lakes and the lakes to the north would be worthwhile to check. Ruling out the exposed areas would be the easiest to check off. If his tent was up and found, that would be a huge break. The fact that it was not is unfortunate.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Just curious how searches are preformed: Are spotters used, IE. pack in a x60+ spotting scope, picking a
point and still hunting, perhaps directing ground searchers to areas a visual "scope" search can not cover?
Not sure that it would make any difference but even my video camera will give me 800x mag as long as I have a battery in it. Hi mag will allow you to view into many brush covered areas.
Using a spotter at this stage might require more personal and time than you will have available.
I hope everyone in the ground search will have a signal panel and mirror as back-up to technology.
This sucks.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

funny thing here is we're not Larry
It would be helpful to know from those who have backpacked with Larry on how true he stays with his Wilderness Permit itinerary. To the letter, or just uses it as a framework, then tends to wander?

Will SEKI disclose the permit to our searchers?

He may have gone over Pinchot pass, then tried doing a loop to visit the large nameless lake east of Mount Pinchot. That lake could have piqued his curiosity because of it's remoteness.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

rlown wrote:as long as we're in speculation mode, I would have put Larry in the green area with a look over the edge.
i marked those areas on my first map back on pahe 11 or 12. SEKI came back a day later and said that they had already checked that area (the ones marked in green)

this route caught my attention because it lies outside the search area (at least what SEKI had posted on their macp back on saturday.

but yeah, you are right, we are not larry and all we can do is speculate.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

They haven't searched those lakes noted in green? Based on what he said about where he was going that would have been the first place I would have searched.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I'm only speculating here, but don't some search helicopters have infrared senors on board? Wouldn't a thorough search using this technology help locate Larry? Are there any helicopters even involved, or is SOP for SAR teams to search on the ground alone? I'm merely trying to offer an idea that I haven't heard yet and I can't say that I have any viable knowledge about SAR and how they operate.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

They do have a chopper in the air with infrared sensors.