Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by rlown »

I don't know if Claus is still checking in.. Did Larry have any prelim maps sitting around all marked up? I think we've talked about Split. what about Pinchot Pass area?

Still like to see the SEKI map marked up with where they searched.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Based on all the info in this thread, I really hope the Muro Blanco is being searched. That seems like a very likely spot.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

maverick wrote:DP Hiker were going up this coming week, PM me. Thanks
watch out for weather on wed/thurs
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

SEKI Public Affairs wrote:On the subject of the map posted by Lost Coyote, these areas have been considered/covered.
okay, thanks.

i remember seeing that an air search was made down muro blanco on wed. that may have been before larry could have made it down there as an out (had he decided to go out that way)

has a foot search been made down there? (all the way to paradise from bench) or a second air search?
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Russ wrote:
I think we've talked about Split. what about Pinchot Pass area?
This is the area he mentioned to me, never a word about Split. He only had 4 days. I think his primary target was the Pinchot pass area. There is another large nameless lake to the east of Mt. Pinchot. That's the kind of stuff Larry likes. Certainly not easily reached from the northern side of Pinchot pass, but doable?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Freestone wrote:
I think his primary target was the Pinchot pass area. There is another large nameless
lake to the east of Mt. Pinchot. That's the kind of stuff Larry likes. Certainly not easily
reached from the northern side of Pinchot pass, but doable.
Had brought that lake as the lakes east of Marjorie to SAR attention back on Thur.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So this area:
Pinchot area.JPG
Feel free to grab and modify what you might do on the map. I'd put him the first day at 11483 if it was me. Assuming Lake Marjorie has been searched. If one doesn't fish, not sure why one would drop to 12139.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

freestone wrote:There is another large nameless lake to the east of Mt. Pinchot. That's the kind of stuff Larry likes. Certainly not easily reached from the northern side of Pinchot pass, but doable?
that would be this one... but as maverick stated, it was already brought up as a place to look.

freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Okay. Given the pace I saw Larry doing-moderately slow, pack weight estimated at 30-35 pounds, the time of day I saw him-about 10:15AM, and the way point I saw him-about 1.5 miles from the trail head. I doubt that he was over the crest on the first night. He did not seem to be in a rush. I estimate his first night about 3 miles below the pass. Does Larry like to do a loop?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I'm certainly in no way second guessing the SAR folks: but I'm not sure I'd exclude the Arrow/Window/White Fork area. It's an attractive area from Taboose, and a relatively moderate 4 day loop back thru Pinchot.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail