Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

shoes?

Post by freestone »

The picture of the shoes I was asked to identify were not recent and not something recovered at the scene!! It was a personal photo of the shoes staged in a home. Thanks to eee333 for bringing this to my attention!! I edited the post to make this absolutely clear!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Ranger conversations

Post by lostcoyote »

freestone wrote:I spoke with the Rangers twice yesterday afternoon and evening. They sent me a picture of a pair of Patagonia trail shoes and I identified those as the shoes he was wearing.
did they tell you where they found the shoes????

also, i just assumed that SEKI will be scanning this forum as they have posted here and take a look at my map for what its worth. it really just shows spots in blue that should be checked out as possible spots somebody (like larry) might be intersted in exploring like on a day off. i based some of the spots on the trip that larry wrote up (few months back) looping thru amphitheater and back over cartridge pass.

1) i noted that he went to the top of frozen lake pass but didn't go down the east side because of all the rubble - perhaps he decided to explore the east side on this trip as a day hike???

2) also shows areas around pinchot that he mayn be interested in

3) amphitheater ridgeline he might be interested in exporing a possible way down for a future trip - he was in amphitheater basin on that previous trip and took pictures of the ridgeline from the amphithater basin side.

all these areas are worth looking into imo....
do you have a link for me to send my map to?

because bo footsteps have been found as of yet, i am sort of thinking 2 things:

1) he decided to head for lower elevation but got injured cuz he should have shown up (at cedar grove for example) by now - thus - check out muro blanco or pinchot. i doubt he'd go over mather pass and head down the middle fork - all that way to yucca point & come back up there.

2) he got seriously injured while exploring, thus, no base camp to see trails in and out of if he did hunker down & wait for rescue setting up big "X" stamps in the snow, fires, etc.... this would be the worst scenario cuz he could have gotten injured before the storm hit and thus, in an extreme survival situation - i don't wish to think along these lines - but ****, he's not shown up yet & no footprints either.

i'll call the number at SEKI and let them know about my idea map.

post edit: called dana & they did receive the sketched up map - thanks dana.
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This incident has made me really rethink my opinon of SPOT, particularly if going solo, if for no other reason than reducing the search and rescue effort. I agree things are not looking great, but do not give up hope. I have read amazing survival stories.

The only new off-the-wall idea I have is that is between the PCT and the crest, treeline extends upward quite high. I have traversed from just below Taboose Pass, in timber, north to Split Mountain, east of the PCT. If I were heading for Taboose Pass and bizzard condtions hit, I may think of going into those trees for shelter. And if I were at Split Mountain and headed back towards Taboose Pass, it is temtping to traverse high instead of dropping to the trail. Granted not the best decison because the trail really is easier inspite of the elevation gain. But then I have been known to panic and make bad decisions too. The news release did not specify what was considered the "travel corridors" searched - perhaps these areas were already considered in the search. Sorry if this is a stupid "clue", but I am scratching my head for everything I can think of.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I have hesitated to make suggestions, out of respect for the SAR professionalism, but what seems logical to me, is the common ascent and descent routes for any of the major peaks in the Taboose Pass general area. Perhaps even as far as the Pinchot Pass area. If he got into trouble up high bagging a peak, that might explain why his tracks or signs of activity are not being seen in the more common travel corridors....still praying and hoping for the best!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Please let today be the day Larry is found, its cold up there and we are all so concerned for his well being.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

jessegooddog wrote:Please let today be the day Larry is found, its cold up there and we are all so concerned for his well being.
hope so... new weather is coming in mid-next week :(
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 4550476074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

richlong, i think any ideas to offer are good ideas. i have GREAT respect for SAR teams and i do know that they take ANY information on websites like this and apply filtering thru stuff others have to offer.

yeah wanderingdaisy. i've taken a SPOT device for several years now. as i get older and my joints get weaker, it's really great to let family members know where you are at... just in case, such as what has happened here. when the email signals stop coming, at least the SAR teams have a point of reference where to begin a search... and the option to press the 911 button is even better.

(i wonder if maverick took off yesterday for taboose)
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

shoes

Post by freestone »

I edited all my posts regarding the picture of shoes Larry may have been wearing. Again, this was a stock image, staged, and taken previously. It was not an image taken by the rescuers. I apologize for the misstep. SEKI is monitoring this thread regularly, so keep the hunches and positive vibes coming!!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Thank you, everyone, for your appreciation of the SAR crew's efforts. I have passed this information along to the team. Our staff is working diligently and strategically to find Larry.

Yes, we are monitoring this board several times a day. It is clear from your posts that you care very much about Larry. We appreciate your ideas, feedback, knowledge of Larry, and help in getting the flyer distributed to various locations, too. While we are not able to address your posts individually or get into the specific details, please know that we are paying attention and you are being heard.

On the subject of the map posted by Lost Coyote, these areas have been considered/covered.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

If Larry was set on Split, this is the route I would have chosen:
search area.JPG
Assumes he was going for Split, this would be where i'd look. I believe that was his plan before the storm. Just throwing it out there as I've never been there.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The following new information has been posted on the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks' website at: http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Oct. 28, 2012 - Map of Search Area for Missing Hiker Larry Conn

(If you do not see the entry for Oct. 28 on the page, click on the "Refresh" button once or twice and it should come up.)