Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by rlown »

still would like to see the search map and what has and has not been searched.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

SEKI Public Affairs wrote:My apologies...I thought I posted an update to this board last night, but I do not see it listed here today.
For the latest update on the search (10/26, approx. 9 p.m.), visit http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Thank you for all of your assistance with posting and cross-posting this info in multiple places. We really appreciate it!
So, what I have gathered from that info is that nobody has done the obvious and approached from Roads End to Paradise Valley towards the Muro Blanco. Obviously, I think they should.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Go ahead and Flame me but that is kind of a lame update.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:
SEKI Public Affairs wrote:My apologies...I thought I posted an update to this board last night, but I do not see it listed here today.
For the latest update on the search (10/26, approx. 9 p.m.), visit http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Thank you for all of your assistance with posting and cross-posting this info in multiple places. We really appreciate it!
So, what I have gathered from that info is that nobody has done the obvious and approached from Roads End to Paradise Valley towards the Muro Blanco. Obviously, I think they should.
this is why it would be GREAT if they would take a picture of the map's they are using to show areas already searched. all they need to do is take the snapshot with a point & shoot and then post the JPEG. how hard is that????? this way, folks like us can see any areas that have not been searched and forward search area ideas to the SAR leaders thru the contact listed on that link. why????....

...because there are many folks herein that have a great sense of the area and a sense of what larry might have wished to explore on possible day-hikes (had he done so) in the area that are worth looking at if already left unsearched. he has an interest in looking at a way to get to amphitheater from upper basin; he didn't do frozen lake pass on his last trip (he did cartridge pass instead) so maybe he tried to explore the east side of that, and he was also interested in the lakes below striped mountain.... all possible areas to check out.... along with the obvious way-outs such as muro blanco

and yes, i agree with the muro checkout above paradise valley.... which is what a picture could tell us if that area has been scoped out or not. larry had already been through the upper section and was already familiar with the section from cartridge creek to bench lake... so yeah, he could have used that as a way out.... tho if uninjured, he should have made it back by now had he gone that way.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I had a thought that may give us a chance to help. One of the top priorities in a search like this is to find his campsite as that narrows down the search area. There is extensive knowledge of this area among you (unfortunately not me) and surely people here can pinpoint some camp locations tahey have used or seen in the past. Larry is likely to have been off trail and I am sure SAR has by now ground searched all along the Muir trail from Mather to Pinchot and at Bench Lake.
Is it possible to start an interactive map (or use the HST map) where people can flag campsites they know about in the area. If we could then get it in front of the SAR Incident Command they could cross reference it to areas they have ground searched. Someone smarter than me will have to set up a map (my mapping skills begin and end with topo and compass).
Given the apparent lack of tracks in the snow, whatever happened with Larry happened before or during the storm and a snow covered or collapsed tent would be hard to spot from the air.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd gladly hike from Roads End through the Muro Blanco and out Taboose. I've been off work since Thursday so I could have already been finished by now. At this point the SAR teams will probably check that area but I doubt they want to!
eee333
Topix Novice

Post by eee333 »

In case anyone is calling/faxing/emailing the flyer, here's my update of places I contacted today, so we don't duplicate effort.

The following places said they'd put the flyer up:
  • Subway (Lone Pine)
    Joseph's Bi-Rite Market (Lone Pine)
    Gardner's True Value (Lone Pine)
    Lone Star Bistro (Lone Pine)
    Big Pine Shell (Big Pine)
    Herb Bauer Sporting Goods (Fresno)
    REI Fresno REI Store
    REI Reno REI Store
    REI Folsom REI Store
    REI Arcadia REI Store
    REI Santa Monica REI Store
    REI San Francisco REI Store
    REI Berkeley REI Store
These places didn't answer, or didn't have a fax/printer/email--so no luck:
  • Valley Market (Independence)
    Independence Shell (Independence)
    Lone Pine Drugs (Lone Pine)
    Arco Am pm Mini Mart (Lone Pine)
    Mobil (Lone Pine)
    Big Pine Chevron
    Big Pine 76
    US Post Office (Independence)
    US Post Office (Bishop)
    US Post Office (Lone Pine)
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

BrianF wrote:Is it possible to start an interactive map (or use the HST map) where people can flag campsites they know about in the area.
ok, i'll take a stab at it...

circled in red: possible base camps
blue arrows: possible day hike areas he may have explored
green: outs

& big thanks to Rogue!
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

You might want to try the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. A lot of folks stop there on their way to and from the eastside trailheads. I believe they are still open (they close for the winter)

http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I'd gladly hike from Roads End through the Muro Blanco and out Taboose. I've been off work since Thursday so I could have already been finished by now. At this point the SAR teams will probably check that area but I doubt they want to!
Roads End is scheduled to close OCT 29 and CalTrans says it is open now. So they say. I hugely doubt there is anybody on the trail beyond Roads End unless it is SAR.
I don't think anyone should attempt it alone, but getting as far as the nice little valley (with a camp) south of the confluence of Kid Creek ("Kid Valley") would be pretty do-able by a competent backpacker, taking only a day or a day and a half from Roads End. It gets pretty rugged beyond that point. An empty creek would help beyond there. Just that, to Kid Valley, would take out a big chunk of the search area.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;