Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by cgundersen »

Thanks Eric for the heads up. If it were not for work, I'd be up there trying to help. Larry had done a great loop earlier this summer to the north of Taboose and was so thrilled with the area that he obviously chose to head back. I'm pulling for SAR big time!!!!!!!!!!!!
cg
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hang tight Q.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

the weather is on his side right now...
lows mid 20's, highs mid 40's for elevation 11200 in upper basin

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 5019042966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I would like to think that Larry, being one of us and a regular contributor, is way too wile and experienced not to deal with whatever situation he is in, and is even now close to rescue or hunkered down in his tent, just waiting for the chance to make his presence known. I think he knows what to do. :nod:
Last edited by DoyleWDonehoo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Let all of us backcountry users be reminded how valuable it is, to ourselves, to SAR, to loved ones, to leave as detailed an itinerary as possible. Especially when solo, especially when pushing the season. I sometimes change my plans as I drive up from the bay area, this thread reminds me I should leave a visible note in my car as to what my latest thoughts/plans are.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:I would like to thing that Larry, being one of us and a regular contributor, is way too wile and experienced not to deal with whatever situation he is in, and is even now close to rescue or hunkered down in his tent, just waiting for the chance to make his presence known. I think he knows what to do. :nod:
We are all resourceful and quentinc is adept.I am sure he is hunkered down in tent and making his way out....

Optimistic.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As time passes I wonder now out loud whether he may have gone down the Muro Blanco since Taboose and Pinchot would have been out of the question with the winds forecasted to be at 40 mph and a windchill of -8 or lower at higher elevations on Tue (know because I was thinking of go up). Going down to lower elevation towards Paradise in the banks of the Kings River could be done this year with the lower water levels and dry summer we had, but how much snow was there already on the ground from the previous weeks storm.
Freestone you can shed some light on this since you were in this area a couple of days before Larry.
Was there a lot of snow near the start of the Muro Blanco and what were the water levels like in the river? I have made it past Kid Creek without having to leave the banks of the river and only leaving it a few times before getting to Paradise decades ago in very low water year similar to this one.
When talking to Claus he said they have not found any footprints which the snow storm may have covered, but may have also been since he had already started down
the Muro Blanco, and since no tent has been found yet it may be plausible.
Injury could have forced him to lower elevation, though experience would have made him stay within the zone he indicated, but sometimes desperation causes us to make decisions we normally would not make.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The water levels in the Muro Blanco have to be at a trickle. This photo was taken on July 17th and look how low it was way back then!

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

speculation is pointless until they find some sort of sign. The best source at this point is where Seki SAR looked or didn't look and we still don't have that data here.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Hang in there! Stay dry!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;