Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by maverick »

Rlown,

All the areas he planned to visit on this trip, and the one he planned to do next year, with the intended route, and any hypothetical area's have been passed on to the officer in charge of the investigation.
Unfortunately all we can do now is wait and hope/pray for the best outcome.

Freestone,

They are aware of Split Mountain, and several other potential areas that he may have intended to visit. George D. has already gotten in touch with the command center about the iphone.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for doing so much to help Mav. We're all pulling for the guy.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

This is Claus again. I apologize for continuing to use Larry's User Id. I just wanted to let you know that Larry did have his iPhone with him on the drive up (he called and left me a message with his itinerary) and I feel fairly certain on the backpack as well. He has used it to take photos on all of his recent trips.

I also want to express my profound gratitude for all that you are doing to help.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shawn wrote: Thanks for doing so much to help Mav. We're all pulling for the guy.
Would do it for everyone here! He is a friend and one of us, and as a community we need to be there for one another, in the good times, but especially when things
get tough. These are the times when it really shows what we are really all about!

Hi Claus,

Thank you for chiming in. We have Larry, his family, and you in our prayers and thoughts. I did confirm the backpack make/model with the investigator, and it is
great to hear that he had his iPhone on him. Let's hope that you will be reunited with your friend very soon!
Check the PM (personal messages) at the top please. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Ah-men brother
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Like many others I'm sure, I've been glued to this thread since it first popped up.

I'm sending positive thoughts to the Kings Canyon High Country. From what Mav said about the current weather conditions, I think there is still a good chance for a positive outcome if Larry didn't hurt himself too badly. Hang in there buddy!!!!!!
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Positive thoughts your way Q!!! Hang in there!!! They'll find you buddy!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Realizing this is typically a slower time of year on the forums, I just sent out a mass email to our nearly 4,000 members. Wish I had thought to do so sooner..
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I just wanted to put some positive energy out there as well. I pray for a safe and speedy return to us.

I don't normally like pointing out SAR efforts like this to my wife but I'm going to make sure she reads this entire thread. If nothing else I'll feel more comfortable knowing she is aware of and has a group like this to talk to should the need ever arise. This is a great community we have here.
Last edited by gary c. on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I have no special knowledge or insight to share. But as a solo backpacker exactly the same age as Larry-- I am feeling enormous tension. There but for the grace of God....

It is uplifting to see the people on this forum rallying around our own. I am keeping Larry in my thoughts.