Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by maverick »

Thanks Bluewater. So as of now WhitneyPortal, SuperTopo, Summitpost, BPL, FB, Backpacker, and Backcountry has postings, any others forums?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Maddog61 »

maverick wrote:Thanks Bluewater. So as of now SuperTopo, Summitpost, BPL, FB, Backpacker, and
Backcountry has postings, any others forums?
Is it on the Whitney Portal Store msg board? I don't have an account but someone here must.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maddog61 wrote:
Is it on the Whitney Portal Store msg board?
Yes it has been posted there to, just added it to the list.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

For message boards, what about Yosemitenews.info? Bit out of their coverage area but you never know where people will have gone
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a class 3 route from Red Lake to Split Mountain. Could it be possible that if weather were coming in and you were on the saddle, you may think about just dropping to Red lake? May be another possible place to look.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

The Search for a Missing Hiker Continues...

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The search for a missing hiker continues-- http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm.
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

tim wrote:For message boards, what about Yosemitenews.info? Bit out of their coverage area but you never know where people will have gone
I posted the original flyer as well as tonight's update on the Whitney Zone forum here: Search for Missing Hiker Continues

Also on WPSMB (Whitney Portal Store) here.

It is on Yosemitenews.info here.

Sure hoping for a happy ending to this...
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

tim wrote:For message boards, what about Yosemitenews.info? Bit out of their coverage area but you never know where people will have gone
Anything and anywhere. Get the word out.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

I may be stating the obvious, but in times like this it never hurts to do so just in case?

I noticed Larry made the following statement in his Trail Report from the beginning of September:

"Day 2 was on the JMT. Here was the first detour. I had been considering taking CG's suggested route of Upper Basin Crossing (UBC), to get into Amphitheater Lakes basin, but the weather looked very iffy. I also had hoped to climb Split Mountain, but also passed on that because of the weather. Exploring later in my trip, I found out this is what I missed out on, on the west side of UBC. [image] Uh...maybe next time (maybe not!)"

Is there a possibility he may have headed towards the Amphitheater Lakes Basin?

At any rate my prayers are also going out for Larry.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Couple things on reading previous posts: was he due to exit on Mon or Tues? It matters because what it means for where he would've camped Sunday night. It was Sunday pm/Mon am that the weather hit here in the bay area, when exactly did the weather go gnarly up there? Two, if he mentioned to someone on the trail, as he was heading up, that he was going to go S on the JMT towards Pinchot that's what I'd take as truth. You can't search the whole area. If he was really thinking Split he would've said so to the guy he passed. Three, I don't believe you'd ditch Taboose as an exit for some x-country route down - when the **** hits you really want to follow some semblance of trail and Taboose isn't that high or rough, it's a good way out. If it was really really ugly and I could still travel I know I could go down the muro blanco. Tough and slow, but it leads down. It'd have it's own dangers (water and thus hypothermia). But it'd be psychologically comforting. Has the weather allowed anyone to check the summit registers of Pinchot/Wynne etc? Best wishes to loved ones and SAR.