Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by SSSdave »

Flux wrote:Would he have tried to bail out and go low for the West Side and avoid the snowed covered passes?? Either by way of the Woods Creek drainage or down the South Fork of the Kings River?? Maybe?? Just a thought. I know if I got caught I would try to get low.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.94660,-11 ... lakes%20WY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He may not have made a late check on NWS forecasts before leaving which is dangerous at this time of year.

Was near Marjorie or Bench, got caught in the storm that dumped 1 to 2 feet of snow, and even if he did try moving towards Taboos at first, soon realized how that would be increasingly unpleasant so dropped down in the canyon below bench and hunkered below some dense trees where the snow was thin. And had to endure a day more of scattered intermittent snow showers before sun came out. Then he may have tried to make a fire and waited for snow to melt. After a couple days noticed it was not going to melt much because it was too deep. So decided to go down Muro Blanco which is a major pain even without snow. With snow he would be punching through snow atop brush.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have just received the Flyer as an e-mail attachment from SEKI:
You are being contacted because you had a permit for hiking in the Inyo National Forest or Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. We are looking for Larry Conn a hiker that has not returned from backpacking trip this weekend. Please take a look at the flyer. If you have any information please contact me via email or my number listed below. Thank you for your help.
SEKI is now using the permit program to find individuals who applied for permits during the same time period that Larry did.

Mav....Muir Trail

His plans seemed very straightforward because of his limited time schedule of 4 days. Getting in and out of Taboose takes up two of those days.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

This is no help at this time (sorry). :-|
...but it seems like with the technology available, solo hikers -- and especially solo hikers in non-summer conditions -- should really consider carrying something like a Spot unit.

People can rent bear canisters various places, it seems like the next step would be the possibility of renting a Spot unit. If only Larry had been carrying one....
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Hoping for your safe return Q, hang in there!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

More positive thoughts and vibes....My heart goes out to all who are currently worrying for him as well as his safe return.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

I don't know you Larry, but I pray God keeps you safe, and gives those searching for you the wisdom they need to find you and get you & themselves back in one piece.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Also sending good vibes for Larry to return home safe.

Posted the info last night on SuperTopo, SummitPost and Facebook.

We look forward to the story Larry...
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

wishing for Larry's safe return
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Keep those prayers and positive vibes coming. Post his info on other sites and get the word out. I work at a Catholic school and have asked all the admin/staff for
their prayers and positive thoughts, the power of the mind is unlimited!
Hang on Larry help is on its way!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I posted his photos on BPL and FB, hopefully it may help raise some awareness along with the info that Paul posted earlier. Our prayers are with him. Andy.