TR - Sabrina Basin - 9/4 - 9/8/12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Sabrina Basin - 9/4 - 9/8/12

Post by maverick »

Great TR and lovely pictures to a very pretty area Herm. Blue, Midnight, Sailor, Hungry
Packer Lakes or maybe just should say that whole area are all worth while destinations
for backpackers, fishing persons, and photographers alike.
Richlong8 wrote: Baboon Lakes? Is there a regular trail into the Baboons now? It used
to be cross country up some slabs, as I recall.
Last time visiting this area I recall the official trail going up about a 1/3 of the way
from the Donkey Lake junction than turning into a unmaintained use trail.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR - Sabrina Basin - 9/4 - 9/8/12

Post by Herm »

Many thanks to all for posting your comments, it really is a lovely area worth visiting!
Regarding the trail to Baboon Lakes - until the nice neighbor lady told me of the good trail, I presumed the better path was to follow the outlet creek from the Baboons on the west side of Donkey Lake. But my neighbor pointed me in the better direction. The trail, which is pointed to by the sign in one of my photos, was well used, clear and easy to follow. Someone had even made an arrow with small rocks to point to the correct direction of travel. It starts a few minutes walk south of the Dingleberry Lake trail fork, and ascends west and south to a point a few hundred feet above the northwest corner of the lowest and largest lake of the group.
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.