Little Yosemite to Merced HSC

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aimer
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Little Yosemite to Merced HSC

Post by Aimer »

Are there any good places to camp between Little Yosemite and Lake Merced High Sierra Camp?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Little Yosemite to Merced HSC

Post by AlmostThere »

Yes.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

If you would like an actual response, yes. After LYV, you can't camp for several miles. As you head to Bunnel cascade, there are great spots to the right just below the cascades. They are a little hard to see from the trail, but if you miss them, you will certainly see them as the trail makes the turn to the right to go into the canyon and overlooks the pool at the bottom of the cascade. When you see the pool at the bottom of the cascade, look slightly farther back and you will see some very nice sites. You will have to go back 50 feet or so, but those are the last ones until Echo Valley.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The only one I used was just after you cross a small bridge and begin to enter Echo Valley you can turn right up a small trail to a nice open camp.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have camped on the north side in the valley where a footbridge crosses, before the large uphill section that goes to Echo Valley. You have to go uphill a ways and you can find local flat spots to set up a tent. I have also camped on a bench adjacent to the falls that comes out from Merced Lake. You can go back quite a ways and there are little streams early season. I personally do not like Merced Lake, probably because I have always been there early or late season when it is just too shady to suit my tastes. But I can see if you were in mid-summer heat the shade may be welcome.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Good information here...also been through here once or twice...usually going down.
As many detest the cluster-flock of LYV, the first real wilderness experience/camping along the Merced comes upriver, 2 level miles past the 2-story crapper - Moraine Dome waterslide. Good swimming hole, fun fishing possibilities, and ample places for 4- 6 groups below the big pool along the river.
A mile or so farther, there are also a few sites, both sides, just above that first bridge crossing the Merced. Once you cross to the South side - Bunnell Cascades - the 14 switchbacks - (BTW, very nice trail work in this section), there is not much convenient until you cross back again, past the wooden bridge into Echo Valley. There are ample places to camp along the river here/ all next mile too and while once a prime camping arena, recent fire scars, blow-downs, and the fact you are on level trail have made moving on to Merced Lake area an easy choice, at least for me.
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I stand corrected, It was Moraine Dome water slide as Markskor stated. Sorry about the misinformation. Nice sites several miles past LYV and a few miles from Echo Valley.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The good sites are really obvious. Walk past the sign marking the boundary of the no camping zone of Little Yosemite Valley and they start to appear.

"yes" is a perfectly valid answer, as you are able to camp anywhere YOU think is a good site, from the end of LYV onward, until you reach the HSC. Within the limits set by the permit, that is.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Your right, it was perfectly valid. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, there should have been a smiling icon or something. Since I was just there, I thought I'd elaborate on the specifics of a great site. :)
Aimer
Topix Newbie

Post by Aimer »

Thanks to all! Almost There, your answer cracked me up :-D. And, yes, it did answer my question. Also, thanks to everyone else for the details. We will be heading to Moraine Dome waterslide - sounds like fun. I love the idea of a swimming hole. We like Emerald pool - but dont like all the bear activity at LYV, plus have camped there plenty along the way.
Happy trails everyone!