Sunset over Mammoth Mountain

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Stevehymon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sunset over Mammoth Mountain

Post by Stevehymon »

I was in Mammoth Lakes over last weekend and there was a series of pretty amazing sunsets even by Sierra standards. A pretty good one popped as I was finishing up drive from June Mountain back to Mammoth and I remembered a pretty good spot along Hot Creek Hatchery Road that offered a view west toward Mammoth and the Minarets. With little time to spare, I left the wide angle lens on my camera and ended up with this -- which I kind of dig even though it minimizes the size of Mammoth Mtn and the spires of the Minarets. It looks better when viewed large.

As for the fall colors, they were decent in places. I took this late Monday afternoon along N. Fork Bishop Creek just below the Sabrina Dam.

Thanks for looking!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sunset over Mammoth Mountain

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

Nice colors on the first one Steve, the second might be more interesting if you were
across the creek facing the aspens (with the right lighting of coarse) or taking it from
an angle near one end of the line of aspens and including the green grass at the bottom.
If one had waders then getting into the water, going in about 3 feet to the corner
of the green grass would make a great shot to or maybe using a telephoto lens to
compress the scene from an angle might have worked great to. Just some ideas.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Stevehymon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Sunset over Mammoth Mountain

Post by Stevehymon »

Hey Maverick;

Thanks for the feedback! Those are good ideas -- and in hindsight, I did have waders in the car (albeit buried under a pile of wet dogs). Light was a bit tricky with the sun heading down behind the aspens -- this particular angle needs a stronger foreground element.

cheers,

Steve