Water bottle holder

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Water bottle holder

Post by quentinc »

It seems backpack designs now assume everyone will be using a hydration bladder, and they no longer come with pockets adequate to securely hold a one liter Nalgene bottle. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bottle holder that will strap on to a pack?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water bottle holder

Post by AlmostThere »

I hadn't noticed... My last purchase was a ULA pack and they not only have adequate pockets, there are water bottle holders on the shoulder straps and the hysrarion pocket is removable.

There are sleeves and clips for nalgenes to mount on a belt.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Cool-Stuf ... d_sim_sg_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.missionreadyequipment.com/osprey-aqua-stow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks Eric. But the Amazon one is what I've tried. As one of the reviewers said, it's like trying to fit size 10 feet in size 8 shoes.

AT: I have a Go-Lite Odyssey, and although it has pockets, a one liter bottle pops out at the least provocation. Definitely not good for off-trail!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I use a small water bottle that I can put in my pocket, or sometimes I put it under my hip belt
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

A buddy of mine has a Gregory Baltoro with a factory made bungy cord loop to help hold water bottles in place. He uses it and says that depending on the water bottle it works fine. You could stop by someplace like REI and see if it might not be something you are interested in. It would be simple to incorporate one to your own pack.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

quentinc wrote:Thanks Eric. But the Amazon one is what I've tried. As one of the reviewers said, it's like trying to fit size 10 feet in size 8 shoes.

AT: I have a Go-Lite Odyssey, and although it has pockets, a one liter bottle pops out at the least provocation. Definitely not good for off-trail!
Would the Osprey model I also linked to (Osprey Aqua Stow) not work? Might be easily modified to suit your needs.

New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I gave up the heavy Nalgene bottles in favor of plastic 1-liter bottles and, after having a pack hydration reservoir tube leak...I now only carry two hip-mounted bottle holders and no in-pack hydration.
My Gregory only had one bottle holder, wanted another...did not like a shoulder harness...wanted another hip-holster bottle pocket.

REI sells a Nalgene hip model which fits over a waist wing strap on the pack.
Having lost a water bottle over Voglesang Pass a few years back, I also included a bottle keeper - an elastic cord with a slider (also REI), easy access and holds the bottle secure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. The bungy cord loop sounds particularly interesting.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I also need holders but they are a pain to find anything ok these days. OR used to have a perfect holder that had a strong velcro belt loop on the back for mounting but they stopped making them.

I use ULA but I would never use those front mounts. I also use the side pockets for gear and I cannot reach a water bottle in them anyway. I mount holders on the hip belt from the size adjuster straps. Then I use pins to stop them from sliding around because the friction will wear through. In 2010 I was almost to the top of of Forester Pass when one of my bottles finally chopped the strap in half.

It's true that not using Nalgene saves allot of weight. They weigh 5.75 ounces vs an empty gatorade bottle at 1.9 ounces. So you can cut half a pound by switching. I personally still use one though so I can use the measurements while cooking.