Eat here, get gas

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Eat here, get gas

Post by sparky »

I think out of all the places I stop and get food while traveling the wilderness the Tuolumne Meadows grill is by far the worst.
Agreed.

I have also had some bad food in Bishop, lone pine, Independance, but I dont want to blast them on the internet. I don't mind blasting the places in National Parks because they rake it in im sure.

The best place is the Good Times Pub down here outside san jacinto wilderness in the town of idylwild. Been there countless times and it is always so good.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I'm with Sparky on the idea of calling out bad places for post trail grub. Heck, that's what Yelp! is for. However, I will share a few favorites in Bishop, one being La Casita, right next to BBQ Bills, and their Mexican food is pretty darn good. The place is often crowded with locals, many speaking Spanish, so that's a vote of confidence in my book. For breakfast, go south about 100 feet from La Casita, turn right and look for the Great Basin Baking Company. The best pastries, scones, etc. in the Eastern Sierra. That place ROCKS!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

RoguePhotonic wrote: I think out of all the places I stop and get food while traveling the wilderness the Tuolumne Meadows grill is by far the worst.
After spending the entire summer Yosemite, I too had many occasions to sample the “hot food” menu at Tuolumne grill and must agree that their offerings truly suck. They pre-cook the burger patties in the morning and re-heat during the day as ordered…fast cooking for the unending tourist masses but…

Breakfasts – pancakes, potatoes always come out cold…just not “Good Eats”.

After much sampling of the Store victuals, discovered the frozen chicken & cheese burritos ($2.40 – blue package - microwave) worked out very well for a hot breakfast.
Thankfully Tuolumne store does offer a great selection of IPAs, a decent wine selection, salsa and tortilla chips, Pepperidge Farm cookies too. Strange also that the Tuolumne Store does not carry any powdered drink mixes - no Crystal-lite.

The only thing worth a lick at the Tuolumne grill is the soft-ice-cream cones…$2.25.
gary c. wrote:I saw the new place opened in Bishop next to Carls Jr I looked forward to trying it out. The first time I went there in June the food was excellent. I was in there again this past weekend and I almost couldn't eat my brisket sandwich it was so foul. I'll probably try to go there one more time for the tie breaker.
Stopped in here last month (while Russ and Paul opted for the Carls Jr next door…guess no accounting for taste).
The Tri-tip hoagie was great…they also offer a nice sampler platter of good BBQ favorites, smelled great but, beware; he service was so slow…
However, I too would go back here again, for at least one more discerning sampling.

Maybe we should start a new thread of what are the best things to order at some these frequently visited, after-hike, Sierra establishments (with our beer).
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mark,

I believe it was "Holy Smoke BBQ" at http://www.yelp.com/biz/holy-smoke-bbq-bishop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looked good and probably tasted better than what Paul and I had.

Russ
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Regarding Yelp!, many businesses do in fact pay attention to the reviews they receive. Might be a good idea to post your displeasures there in hopes that some of these establishments might improve their offerings. Painfully obvious that alternative options aren't topically abundant in many of these trailhead locations. Work with what you got.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

After reading those reviews about Holy Smoke BBQ it sounds like everyone else has had a hit or miss kind of thing with the place. I'll definately give it another try, besides they serve sweet tea which is always a good thing.

As for expressing opinions good or bad on an open forum, I can't think of a better place to do so. Most of us here consider this a community where we share ideas and knowledge for our own enjoyment and to help each other out. I won't likely let any one persons opinion keep me from trying a place out on my own but if several of you say it's not worth the bother I'm more likely to pay attention. If your service or food is sub-par there is no reason for me to feel bad if your buisness suffers. At the same time I would go out of my way to support a place that works hard for my buisness and gives me a quality product, food or otherwise. I don't even mind spending a little more for quality.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Bishop Creek Lodge down from South Lake has great food. Only other place that could compete with VVR.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

gary c.,

I'm not at all discouraging these opinions being posted here. My point is that I can assure you that more people (including the business owners themselves) consult Yelp! for eatery reviews than people whom consult HST for the same. For that reason, I think reviews there are going to have a greater chance of impacting change.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix