New sleeping pad

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New sleeping pad

Post by quentinc »

Thanks Mike, that's good to know. Mine survived my just completed 8 day trip over Taboose, although each time I tried to scrunch the seal over the valve after inflating it, I said a little prayer.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Just got back from 5 day trip with the Exped Symat UL7. Lets just say if I say how much I love it one more time, my wife is going to beat the snot out of me.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New sleeping pad

Post by ironmike »

Is anyone using pads (ensolite or otherwise), or does everyone just throw the Expeds down directly on their tent floor or ground cover?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Flux, I'm really happy to hear that you didn't think that noise is such a big deal with your NeoAir X-Lite. I 'm waiting for mine to be delivered and ever since I've ordered it I've had second thoughts because of some of the reviews. For anyone else that is thinking about buying a Thermarest NeoAir E-Lite pad Campmore has a heck of a deal right now for what they are calling a "Irregular". The site says they are irregular because of color inconsistancies and are still covered by the Mfg Lifetime Warrantee.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

ironmike wrote:Is anyone using pads (ensolite or otherwise), or does everyone just throw the Expeds down directly on their tent floor or ground cover?
When I had my Tarptent Moment, I put my Exped Synmat UL7 straight on the tent floor, no groundsheet underneath the tent. Made sure to clear rocks/etc. under the tent first though.

Tried the Wallyworld blue pad, Thermarest Z Lite, Big Agnes Air Core, Exped Synmat UL 7, Big 5 black pad (in that order). I'd say the Air Core and Synmat UL7 were similar in comfort. There was a point in time when I was carrying both the Wallyworld pad and Z lite and stacking them, only to find it wasn't more comfortable. :lol: Before I knew about R values, I had a few trips where I slept cold in about 40* weather in a 20* bag with the Air Core and though I needed a warmer bag. I hated inflating/deflating the air pads, so I went back to foam, but I remembered why I switched in the first place, woke up too sore. Amazon has the orange Thermarest Prolites in regular size for $60 right now, Prime eligible, so I'm gonna try it out.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

ironmike wrote:Is anyone using pads (ensolite or otherwise), or does everyone just throw the Expeds down directly on their tent floor or ground cover?
My wife has had her Exped downmat 9 for a few years and I just broke down and got the Synmat UL7. We have never put anything under the mats but the tent floor.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the most interesting part of breaking camp is when you're laying there and you deflate your pad while laying on it (Neo-air in my case).

Ground is rather hard and cold when she's deflated. I carry a lot of duct tape just in case. She's been good for 3 seasons so far. I too only use the tent floor as protection.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I use some really light 1/8" thick closed cell foam between the tent floor and my downmat to reduce odds of puncture from below. To date puncture from below have not been an issue. My last night in the Eaglecap I noted a small loss in pressure over night. When I got home I found that my duct tape patch [over the leak I caused by dropping my open pocket knife on the pad] had developed a small leak (one tiny air bubble every couple of seconds). I removed the tape, cleaned off the residue, and applied two coats of Shoe Goo to the hole.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

tested my Exped UL7 on cold Isle Royale last week (last hikers on the island this season). Worked very well, warm, comfy, and easy to inflate with that "schnozzle bag." The only issue worth some criticism is the size of the stuff bag - it forces you to roll the pad multiple times to get the last bit of air out of it, or it will simply not fit back into the stuff bag it ships with. Not a huge deal, but if you're in a hurry on a cold morning, one may want to get a slightly larger stuff bag for it.

I spent most nights with my 25F bag unzipped on the pad, no additional unsulation below, and it was usually around 28-34F at night, very humid and gusty/windy. Always warm below me. At about 2.5" thick, this is the most comfortable pad I've ever used. I always used a Tyvek sheet below the pad to protect it, given the material is rather thin. I've used foam pads for years after inflatables always let me down, so I am still not sold on the reliability of it, but the comfort is just off the scale compared to foam.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Broke in my new Exped 7UL a couple of weeks ago and like it much better than
the big orange Warmlite.
It is much more comfortable, and the "schnozzle bag" works like a charm.
Now have too find a backpack again, and get rid of my Osprey, which was
never a comfortable pack.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org