Meeting up

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Meeting up

Post by sparky »

I don't know maybe meeting people on the internet to do strenuous/dangerous multi-day hikes is a bad idea on a few different levels. :eek: I just go with the flow and am thinking aloud

I am tired of hiking solo though
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

We just need a HST yearly hike. Set a date and let people say they will be there or not. Something easy so everyone can join.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

you could set it up as meet at point X on days Y and Z (z being like a latover day) as if its a party.

whoever makes it makes it.
the number does not matter.
come and go as you wish.

people can decide whether they want to hike in together or hike in solo. same with leaving.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

sparky wrote:I don't know maybe meeting people on the internet to do strenuous/dangerous multi-day hikes is a bad idea on a few different levels. :eek: I just go with the flow and am thinking aloud

I am tired of hiking solo though
LOL. That's all I do.

There's been a few frustrating ones, but nothing BAD has happened. If you can describe it well enough, the newbies screen themselves off the stuff they shouldn't do.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

ERIC wrote:Throwing an idea at the wall for stickiness here, but would an interactive trip calendar help? The link would only be to a user profile. Someone would have to be a serious stalker (not saying we don't have at least one of those amongst us here) to track a user account to a real person and thus their home address, etc.
Hi Eric,

A good idea to run with and firm up some details for. As I input above, would prefer being vague about specific dates and locations. All we really need to communicate to other members is that we are likely to be in a particular zone during an approximate period. Otherwise it invites notice of criminals especially for those of us living in urban environments. For savvy Internet users it takes little effort to locate where people live through public records readily for sale by web advertizing data purveyors.

Thus as an example about mid July, member XYZ may log on your calendar, they may be up in the Bishop Creek basins in late August, while actually having a reserved wilderness permit on August 22 out of Sabrina for 5 days. Also member ABC has a reserved permit out of North Lake for August 19 for 7 days and logs that on the calendar as also Bishop Creek late August. The two will notice they will be in that local zone about the same time and can then PM each other on details. If member ABC is a well known HST member while XYZ has posted little if any and is suspicious, ABC can decide how little or much to communicate. If on the other hand both members are well known, they can exchange details with PM's and would find they are both exiting trails the same day and thus might set up a group lunch down in Bishop before both drive home.

Using a vague period like late August, Any criminal looking at the calendar is neither going to know exactly what dates a person may be gone or for how long and consider the available information rather worthless.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

sparky wrote:I think it would be cool to do a HST backpack with the intent on packing out as much trash as possible.
I can't fit any of you guys in my pack. :)

Seriously, I like the idea of an interactive calendar. I'm not worried about someone trying to track down who I am and where I live. Like some others have said, part of my problem is deciding on an itinerary at the very last possible minute. Like the past weekend, when I didn't decide to do Sawmill Pass until I got to the turnoff from the 395 and decided the temperature was cool enough.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Eric,

I'm good with the idea. Only way is to test something and see if it's used and/or works. Hoping this is something standard and not a mod.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm more concerned with clients finding me than random burglars. IF thieves can get past the pit bulls and land mines in my yard, they are welcome to my rusty spoon collection, random collection of stoneware, and the fifty cents in the candy dish on the table. (I don't have a tv or accompanying junk. My computer is old and a step above an abacus....)

And then there's the neighbor. (my town is full of conservative gun nuts. the one next door likes me.) :snipe:

Anyway, I'm not concerned, and I've posted before that I'd be out and to say hi if you see the lunatic with the grin and the red SAR shirt. (I only smile on the trail.)

So go ahead and set 'er up, I'll give it a try.

(Much of this post is a slight exaggeration. I wont' tell you which is what. :evil: )
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

AlmostThere - Brilliant exaggeration - you don't have a slide rule yet?
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Hoping this is something standard and not a mod.
That's something I'm leery of and am looking into.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix