Army & New Army Pass Day Hike 8/19/06

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Army & New Army Pass Day Hike 8/19/06

Post by Ranboze »

I enjoyed a nice hike up Army Pass and down New Army Pass, utilizing the South Fork Lakes trail both ways. Army Pass is free of snow, mostly. There's those 2 snow banks at the top that cover the "official" trail, but the bypasses are fine. I headed north from Army Pass to gain the first ridge, then headed over to NAP. Met up with some of the Ventura Roadrunners and I chatted for a bit, as I ran with the LA Roadrunners for several years. I started for Cirque Peak, but wasn't conifident that I'd finish the day at a comfortable hour. It was also a smokey day, so decided I'd not spend my energy for less than optimal photo-conditions.

To access the South Fork Lakes trail, I've always gone xcr from Cottonwood Lake #1 south to the trail, but there's a bit of a hill to go over. From the cirque, I spotted a different route - I decided I'd stay closer to the South Fork Lakes and skirt the meadow that's at the eastern most lake. That also meant I had to cross that nasty boulder field - I forgot about that. Anything to avoid going uphill! Returned to car just after 5pm and drove home to LA. Great day.

Trip photos
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Nice pics! I'm hoping to do Langley from Army Pass this coming week. Looks like a lot of loose gravel on the trail. By the way, what were the temps in the area during the day? And what elevation did you see the rattler? :eek:
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Mr. Buzz Tail was on the road at ~5100 ft. Both of them were in the same area. As for loose gravel... not too bad going up Army (the taste of Split Mtn is still on my tongue so I may be underrating it). Now... as for that last 1800 ft gain to Langley's summit... that's another story!
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Looks like a good trip. Glad you got out. Cute marmot poses!

We ended up not doing the MR Sunday. :( Crazy Bob's heel was still bothering him, and my leg was bothering me from Russell, so it was easy to cancel the trip. Looked like a lot of snow in the chutes.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;