Old School Eats

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Old School Eats

Post by ironmike »

Found below Martha Lake at approximately 10700' in mid-September.

My backpacking companion Rob had been regaling me with stories from his early days in the Sierras (late 60's) - the 80-lb packs, no regulations, the lack of crowds even in mid-summer, and the canned food they would bring before the days of freeze-dried goods and modern plastic or foil packaging. I thought it very cool to find this little bit of history nestled in some branches and rocks next to an old fire ring that formed the core of our camp area. Even cooler because Rob had specifically mentioned canned wieners.

It is astounding that this can is in such good condition considering that this area is under snow for many months of the year and subjected to great extremes of weather. Not only that, but a close inspection of the back label shows a faint date: 1949!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Re: Old School Eats

Post by BrianF »

How'd they taste? :D
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
ironmike
Topix Regular

Old School Eats

Post by ironmike »

Unfortunately the can had been opened and emptied years ago. I can only imagine how savory they were, especially with a separate "Sack-O-Sauce"!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:D about all i can say. might be a cure for cancer in that jar.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The can might actually be worth money.

I always find products in the Sierra and I try to find dates on them but I never have any luck. In a small can dump there was a good size ham.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

I remember taking the "girlfriends" ( later wives for a weekend. My buddy brought a 1 lb canned ham. #-o
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Actually, lightweight balanced diets have been available to be carried into the Sierra since before I was born and could be effectively hauled since Kelty or someone else made packs in the 50's (more or less) that got most of the weight on the hips. Balanced backcountry diet -- pasta, spices, salt, vitamin C, potassium, multiple vitamins, stuff with sugar and beef jerky or trout (gotta catch those). In lots of days backpacking I rarely ate freeze dried food and always used a pack that left very little weight on my shoulders.
PS: I just thought the weight distribution thing adds a nice touch.
PSS: Down bags have been around a long time too.