Meeting up

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Meeting up

Post by rlown »

ok.. so I know for some who do solo this might be a "who cares" subject. But after the fact I found out that some of the HST crew were in the same vicinity out of Bishop and yet we never met.. Probably missed each other by 12 minutes. I guess the HST sticker on the truck was never seen.

Are we all just so wound up in our schedules that we don't say where we're gonna be? Some of those encounters would have been fun (other than having Markskor there.)

We need to do a better job of saying when and where.. If it happens, then it happens. I do carry good food.

Russ
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: Meeting up

Post by sparky »

I would be interested in meeting others for a hike next summer....im getting tired of being solo every trip, and my friends arent interested in off trail routes.

Not a local to bishop....i live in riverside county

My problem is most trips are last minute...
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

sparky wrote:My problem is most trips are last minute...
That's partly my issue as well. Well, maybe more so the 'where' than the what or when.

Truth be told, I keep my plans on the down-low because I'm worried I'll run into Mark and have my 'backside' called into question. :paranoid:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I do carry good food.
My load is feeling lighter already!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'm always open to hiking with anyone. I only spend so much time solo on the trail because no one else will go.

If I do another major hike next year you people should get out with me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This was discussed years ago Rlown and interest was almost zero unfortunately. :\
Would think if an area was discussed ahead of time (think now) it would allow
members too include it into next years itinerary (route), so even if it is a one
day stop over for most, at least we can have some face to face meetings and not
just years of impersonal electronic communication. :(
My vote would be for Dusy Basin because of its location, beauty, fishing,
photography, and many climbing opportunities it has to offer. It could also
accommodate a larger group of people without getting tight.
Folks doing the JMT, North Lake to South Lake Loop, SHR, and numerous other
destinations need to pass through this corridor, or at least pass by it, so it would not
be a major detour and not be a one stop destination that many would not want
too do.
Folks are more willing to attend or at least consider something like this if it can be
included into there plans and not be exclusive since most have limited timetables
too work with.
Picking a month is a little more iffy but August seems the safest this far out since we
have no idea about what Winter will bring us, and it is the time most folks like doing
there big hikes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It wasn't met to be an HST meet up. I posted my trip plan for 9/15-~.. If people know the start date and where in the future, there might be a match and we meet.. (We can send Mark for water, as he's not so social).

Actually met some people at Paiute Pass from my neck of the woods last month. But not HST. If you see my truck, feel free to sign the sticker on the back window.

Russ
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

rlown wrote:...after the fact I found out that some of the HST crew were in the same vicinity out of Bishop and yet we never met.. Probably missed each other by 12 minutes. I guess the HST sticker on the truck was never seen.
Some of those encounters would have been fun (other than having Markskor there.)
ERIC wrote: Truth be told, I keep my plans on the down-low because I'm worried I'll run into Mark and have my 'backside' called into question. :paranoid:
First OldRanger, then Russ, now Eric...sigh!
Good thing I can take it as well as dish it out. I figure these guys are just jealous of someone unnaturally handsome, intelligent, and who can cook…This sort of thing happens a lot in the Sierra.

Probably explains why solo hiking appeals so much…(bunch of ungrateful dufuses if you ask me)…wonder why I enjoy hiking with these guys each season. Give it about ten more years and then might have to re-evaluate my hiking priorities.
At least TheOtherTom recognizes that there is intrinsic majesty in being included in the dirt-bag, Trail Trash category…undoubtedly a wise man.

BTW, nothing wrong with being called Trail Trash…just one rung below a backcountry fisherman (the gold standard) and a few steps higher/ better than being called a Flatlander.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just giving you grief. Mark, you can come on my trips anytime.

All I was really looking for from this thread was a days notification about where one might be. doesn't have to be public. Heck, I'm 8 hrs from Bishop and yet i still go, and publish my entry day. I tend to plan my trips well in advance because of the job. Not all can probably see it as I think it was in the sensitive fishing section.

You actually have to meet Mark and spend a day with him. If just to satisfy the sociopath in you.

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Just giving you grief. Mark, you can come on my trips anytime.
Here here. I've been bad about posting my details lately, albeit sadly, there haven't been many to share. But will try to do a better job in the future. First on the priority list will be to make the geezer's (err, I mean spirited, sapient, fish-slaying, Sierran MacGyver foodies) trip work out for once.

Although it might seem so at times, I'm really not avoiding the HST get-together.

EDIT: IMO, I think we should not be excluding the possibilities of randonee/CC/snowshoe/snow camping trips as well.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix