Show us your backside!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Show us your backside!

Post by oldranger »

Eric

For some reason I thought you decided against the Exos 58. How do you like it. I assume you are using a large. I now own 2--send each one in for repairs every 40 days or so of use. They are still useable but the "trampoline" webbing tends to wear near the hip portion of the frame and I don't want to experience a catastrophic failure miles from the TH. I have to pay shipping one way for the repair.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:Eric

For some reason I thought you decided against the Exos 58. How do you like it. I assume you are using a large. I now own 2--send each one in for repairs every 40 days or so of use. They are still useable but the "trampoline" webbing tends to wear near the hip portion of the frame and I don't want to experience a catastrophic failure miles from the TH. I have to pay shipping one way for the repair.

Mike
Funny you should ask. Are you in the market for a third? Mine is available if so. :)
I have many of the same complaints you read online. Available capacity is beyond what the suspension system can handle. I find anything over 25-30lbs and the straps require continuous adjustment and the hip belt rides uncomfortably. And then there's the durability, or lack there of.. Think I'll be going back to the Atmos 50. I really don't need that extra 8L anyway..
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I'm usually hiking solo or behind my hiking partner, so I don't have any pictures of my backside. Here's the closest I've got:

This Arcteryx Bora 90 is a big old monster, but I've never had any problems and can carry up to 60 pounds comfortably. I'm usually carrying the shared gear for the people I hike with, so the extra space comes in handy.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

windknot wrote: This Arcteryx Bora 90 is a big old monster, but I've never had any problems and can carry up to 60 pounds comfortably. I'm usually carrying the shared gear for the people I hike with, so the extra space comes in handy.
A pretty pack! The shared gear is why I carry larger than necessary as well. Adding clothes for weather is easy as well as it just expands upwards.

Not sure I like the "carry 60 lbs comfortably" anymore. I find 45ish very comfortable but my starting weight on any trip is above that and makes the first uphill day just hard.

Russ
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Me on the right and my skiing buddy Bill on the left on a trip out to Glacier Point in March of 04'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

OK--here's my backside as I get ready to enjoy dinner in SEKI. The dining room had quite a view:

OH!!!! You mean my pack! Well, here are our packs on a five day trip...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Trail trash? -- and some think I'm condesending.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

van near goddard creek orgin72.jpg
My knarley Kelty XL Tioga.
Haters be hate'n!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vandman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OR wrote:
They are still useable but the "trampoline" webbing tends to wear near the hip
portion of the frame and I don't want to experience a catastrophic failure miles
from the TH.
Thought this was just happening to mine since my camera buckle for my waist pack
is located in the same place. The shoulder straps nor the waist belt is very comfy
especially compared to my old Mountainsmith Ghost. :\
Will look for something new in the next few weeks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Not easy for me to find a butt shot of me and my pack!

here is a friend of mine