Show us your backside!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Show us your backside!

Post by rlown »

ok, this was Markskor's brainstorm but I'll get the party started. We were up Piute pass on the Glacier divide in Mid September 2012. We'll start with Mark's pack:
Glacial Divide 2012 074.JPG
You'll notice the broken cup and the flailing fish that lulled me to sleep when i was behind him.. He's pretty strong after 100 days in the back country this season.

Then there's mine:
Glacial Divide 2012 075.JPG
And then MeyersP. If you zoom in you'll see he punctured the bottom of his Bearikade. And he has a pounds worth of straps to hold his fly fishing gear on. Working on that.
Glacial Divide 2012 076.JPG
Anyway, If you have a backside shot, post it!

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Show us your backside!

Post by RoguePhotonic »

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

A good summer for me - well over 100 Sierra bag nights...opportunity to observe many a backpacker's kit. Pack sizes seemed to fall in 3 categories...small, medium, and large.

Interesting that there seems to be a correlation in these differences in backpack size, experience, demeanor, and subsequent trails taken. My Yosemite observations on backpacks seen (hence this thread)...does it constitute Backpack profiling?

The PCT rompers, perhaps the most experienced, usually sporting the smallest packs (perhaps due to their minimalist hiking approach and/or perhaps due to 1/3 not carrying any bear can). I wonder why this no-can-carry is allowed (maybe allowed is the wrong word but, the Tuolumne Yosemite Rangers definitely seemed to look the other way.) Few carried any fishing gear, tarps were used instead of tents, alcohol stoves prevailed, and trail runners were the norm. When encountering these on the trail...after initial salutations, the conversation always turned immediately to food.
A lot of ULA type packs here...40 - 50 liter size.

The Muir Trail stompers always seemed to carry the largest of all loads. It appears that many of these backpackers are more than a bit over-packed...many doing a first-time, long distance, bucket list trip, and most have no idea about weight. IMHO, many of the Muir Trail hikers were the least experienced of those hikers encountered. Just by looking at their packs, you could usually guess their trail objective.
A lot of Gregory Boltaro's...size 85.

Saw a lot of old-school, external frame backpackers too. Old Kelty pack horses (size 100) with everything lashed on whatever...(Is strap weight a category?)...heavy tents, white gas stoves, four fishing rod/reel cases. BTW, best to avoid this types unless invited - as usually crusty and mostly intolerable.

Brand new gear sporters...
A lot of these seen going to Glen Aulin, Voglesang, and/or Sunrise. Always nice to see expensive new gear just out of the box...

Best... look for someone with a size ~60 backpack, well worn in -
Sporting some sort of fishing rod case,
(and perhaps a green fish...or something-something with some angling flavor) denoting that the carrier is unique..a Sierra fisherman,
as not to be confused with the other trail trash.

A hiking buddy at Trail Camp once told me you could tell a lot about the hiker just by seeing the back of their 7-night-packed backpack...
Show me your backside.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

On the edge of the ridge looking down at Pear Lake (making our way down from the Tablelands)
600_52107942.jpeg
ETA: I found this from this year's Moose Lake trip pics. Same destination, different pack. My Gregory is now dedicated to SAR and here I am toting 24 lbs into the slab and talus. (I love my new ULA.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Heading around Goethe Lk. toward Alpine Col.
[rimg]P8180337.JPG[/rimg]
Over Alpine Col on my way up and around the first lake N heading toward Darwin Bench
[rimg]P8180352.JPG[/rimg]
Old Army Pass
[rimg]P8090634.JPG[/rimg]
We won't talk about this one.
[rimg]IMG_1154.JPG[/rimg]
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

OK, Markskor, what category do I fit in :nod:

Side View:
Bonus points if you can name the trail
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

The Other Tom wrote:OK, Markskor, what category do I fit in :nod:
Hmmm -
Looks like size - 55 - 60...McHale?
The right sized pack - no overhead attic - looks like expensive gear too - tight kit... real nice.
Unfortunately, with no fishing gear readily evident, which (let's check the official rule-book here...) would default you from the unique/expert/heathen category back into ubiquitous trail trash...sorry.

Fishermen are Sierra gods...So it is written. :^o
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

gear looks pretty clean as well. Not tossed to a pile like some here i know and then creates an aura around it. did you know that auras have a scent?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

markskor wrote:
The Other Tom wrote:OK, Markskor, what category do I fit in :nod:
Hmmm -
Looks like size - 55 - 60...McHale?
The right sized pack - no overhead attic - looks like expensive gear too - tight kit... real nice.
Unfortunately, with no fishing gear readily evident, which (let's check the official rule-book here...) would default you from the unique/expert/heathen category back into ubiquitous trail trash...sorry.

Fishermen are Sierra gods...So it is written. :^o
Golite Jam 65L
Bought it on sale. Red was the only color they had left ( wonder why?).

Correct on the no fishing gear. Never got into fishing. I figured that would doom me to trail trash :D
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Most recent one I could find (I'm usually the one taking the photos).

EDIT: And for what it's worth, Mark, on this 5 day trip my wife was carrying a 35L pack while mine is a 58L. I carry all food, our tent and all other shared gear. That's how I get her to come with me. :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix