Eastern Sierra aspen road trips

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Eastern Sierra aspen road trips

Post by SSSdave »

Will be on a 5-day road trip along the Eastern Sierra next week. Likely won't go south of Mono Lake basin as have done those southern areas many years and this droughty year is not likely to be close to best years in the past. Hope to do one overnight backpack in the East Walker drainage to stage a morning shoot in a higher grove I doubt anyone has noticed much less shot.

NWS is on the fence as to whether the first fall storm manages to move through or stays further north. Would be nice to get a dusting as long as it isn't too cold. Expect trees about most of the lowest elevations ought to be mostly green while the upper and mid aspen band of groves will be of interest with groves on dryer hillsides possibly looking shabby.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Eastern Sierra aspen road trips

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Aspen in Hope Valley were pretty good when I drove through last week.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

Bishop Creek area Around South lake was well along yesterday with nice yellows at the higher levels and just starting to turn at the lower elevations. Sorry, no pics, I arrived at night and was in a hurry to get on the road home when I left
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Received sheet film back from my opening post above, crudely Epson flat bed scanned the best transparencies, and moved them onto my Gallery_B sub-page that contains all the best 4x5 material I still need drum scans for. The four fall leaf images at the last bottom row where the other 8 images I've added during 2012 also are.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/gallery_b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One type of aspen landscape I worked on locating was with foregrounds of dried blond hued Sierra bunch grass, one of our native species. And found two rather good subjects. 12-I3-4.jpg has nice alternating patches of that straw hued grass and cyan sagebrush. In middle ground is a swath of a dense meadow grass species one often sees that is a fine golden straw hue. I was not able to find any reasonable foreground aspen tree subjects for the large background aspen ground so instead worked on a dried grass foreground.

The other grass image 12-I2-3.jpg was shot maybe about 10:30am. It had particularly beautiful blond grass hues complementing the yellow aspen leaves with a nice geometry to the whole scene. I had broad areas of cirrus above so I waited till a the blue patch moved above tree tops. There are often needs with those selecting images in buildings for bright photo subjects that hold up well given available ambient light, and that image is now one of the best fits for such in my collection.