Iva bell to beetlebug to olive lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Iva bell to beetlebug to olive lakes

Post by The hermit »

Id like to do a solo loop trip from reds meadow to the silver divide via iva bell. Could I head cross country from lost keys lakes to beetlebug and then to olive lake?Id like to avoid most (not all, sketchy terrain).I plan to head back via purple lake.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Iva bell to beetlebug to olive lakes

Post by RoguePhotonic »

From Beetlebug Lake go around it's Northern shore. Take a wide col on it's far side up to about 10,600 feet. There is a saddle that looks like a nice pass on this ridge to cross. Do not aim for this notch. It's South Side is nice but it's Northern side is a mess of cliffs. Instead angle up the ridge that runs up West of that saddle and cross where you feel comfortable. The southern side of this ridge is a mess of smooth granite shelves that are easy to cross. Follow them down towards Anne Lake. For now I have dubbed this route Bettlebug Pass. Class 2-3. Any class 3 moves are easy without exposure.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Have you ever gone from bench lakes up and over to beetlebug?Im halfway there now. I walked right between bench lake and thankfully made it to a lake @10390 before it got dark! I did not want to go back down once i saw bench from up above. Any info is helpful. Thanks
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Nope I haven't been up there.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I made it over from bench lakes to beetlebug but I wasnt courageous enough to tackle beetlebug pass(my dog wasnt liking cross country travel).Next time when I have a partner, not solo. Seems like a great way to see some beautiful lakes. Thanks Rogue