TR: Sphinx Crest Loop 7/16 - 7/20 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sphinx Crest Loop 7/16 - 7/20 2012

Post by TehipiteTom »

Ugh...that's brutal. 5500' of gain + a couple of miles of non-trivial cross-country is a surefire recipe for pain. :eek:
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Shawn wrote:We went up to 10514 the first day from the TH.
Yikes! That is just cruel and unusual punishment!!
I just got back from a 3 day trip to 10 Lakes Basin with my noob friend, and I was pretty grumpy about that climb (2200+ feet, 6 Miles to the basin).

Thanks for the nice comments about my ST TR's! I should do more now that I have backed up a bunch more trips.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:
Shawn wrote:We went up to 10514 the first day from the TH.
Yikes! That is just cruel and unusual punishment!!
I just got back from a 3 day trip to 10 Lakes Basin with my noob friend, and I was pretty grumpy about that climb (2200+ feet, 6 Miles to the basin).

Thanks for the nice comments about my ST TR's! I should do more now that I have backed up a bunch more trips.
Looking forward to your trip reports!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

TT

You wrote
in truth, I had already made my decision back at Lake 9735. Once I left the lake I was out of the really interesting country, and without even noticing it was shifting to an end-of-trip frame of mind. Now, at Moraine Creek, there was nothing but trail between me and civilization, and nothing very exciting along the way.
Sorry to disagree. I wish you had told me your plans earlier this summer and I could have helped you find a fun trail from just nw of Little Brewer Lake to Moraine Creek, two Shorty Lovelace cabins, and several interesting (and bizzare) tree carvings.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

oldranger wrote:Sorry to disagree. I wish you had told me your plans earlier this summer and I could have helped you find a fun trail from just nw of Little Brewer Lake to Moraine Creek, two Shorty Lovelace cabins, and several interesting (and bizzare) tree carvings.

Mike
Fair point. I did do a brief search for the carvings, but either I was looking in the wrong place or I wasn't patient enough. The Sphinx cabin was quite a ways off the trail (IIRC, you told me it was a mile or two up the side creek) and I was too wiped on my way in, and too hurried on my way out, to go looking for it.

But as I said, I had already shifted to end-of-trip mode at that point, which colored how interested in anything other than getting out.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Thank you for posting this trip report, TT. I am using it as intel for a two day trip up to the lakes basin.

I just got back from doing a 5,500+ cumulative gain, 26+ mile round trip into the Tablelands area, with a good six miles of fun-packed cross country - we went from Pear Lake up the (depressingly dry) Kaweah to the crest of the ridge and around to Moose Lake, followed by knee-mangling downhill and traverse to Alta Meadow. I have high hopes that since I am not sore (not even my knees!), nor banged up, nor really all that exhausted, that I will make it up for some more alpenglow!