TR North Lake to South Lake 8/17-8/24

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR North Lake to South Lake 8/17-8/24

Post by Ikan Mas »

OK, this is the same North Lake to South Lake trek that everyone takes. There is one difference here, though, instead of leaving a car at each lake or hitching a ride on the road, we hiked over Table Mountain. So follow through, and you might see something a bit different.

So we started out from North Lake on the afternoon August 17 under cloudy skies. Here is a photo looking back down the valley.
We stayed at Loch Leven, and then headed up to Piute Pass the next morning.
Looking out the west over Piute Pass
With rain pending, we pulled into Hutchison Meadow and set up camp. I spent the rest of the afternoon dodging showers and chasing these fellows
Here’s a look up Piute Creek to Pilot Knob
The next day, 8/19, we continued down the canyon
The currents were good in spots:
We came down to the PCT and then headed up to the Evolution Valley, passing these falls on the way up.
Evolution Meadows were worth the climb:
We found a good spot early afternoon and watched the thru hikers desperately searching for a place to park as the sun went down. We always made a point of knocking off around 2:00 so we could really enjoy the place we hiked to.
Next morning, 8/20 we continued up the Evolution Valley:
Passing a cabin that is quite familiar to a member here:
Finally, we came up to Evolution Lake:
I wanted to stay and fish, but we needed to get up the trail a bit more to Wanda Lake.
We found a nice camp a Wanda, off the lake and the trail, providing a great view.
I wasn’t sure if there were fish in Wanda, so I rigged up and threw my iron. I watched this gull fishing and saw him catch something, a bit dark for a trout, but I thought that was a good sign.
I continued working my way down to the outlet, looking for those elusive trout. Finally, when I got to the shallower water, I saw what the gull was “fishing” for: Tadpoles! Oh No! A new threat to the frog! Gulls! Well, I did see lots of tadpoles and frogs, so no fish. Wanda seems to be a froggy lake.
Next morning we headed up to Muir Pass, looking back a Wanda Lake
Here is my trophy view of the Muir Hut
Down, down, down, to Le Conte Canyon, the plunge began, passing Helen Lake:
Into the canyon:
And past, the most terrifying of sites to the trail hiker, the Le Conte Rock Monster!!!
We camped down the trail from the ranger station and I spent the rest of the afternoon looking for gold:
Next morning (Wednesday, August 21) we began our climb out of the canyon and up to Bishop Pass.
As we approached the pass, the mist blew in and it was cold and nasty. Had to put on a layer. None to hospitable. We descended quickly and were soon met by a blast of warm air. We quickly pulled off a couple of layers and scratched our head over the weather. We should know that the blast of hot air would lead to some even nastier weather. When we reach Bishop Lake the rain began, quickly turning to hail. Thunder boomed and yet fools continued to hike up the pass. I am constantly amazed that people will risk electrocution to get over a pass.
We hid under some trees while the thunder boomed and the hail fell. We had hoped to camp at Bishop Lake, but the elements were working against us. After an hour, the rain/hail slacked for a bit and we quickly rolled down the trail, finding Long Lake much more friendly.
We set up camp and got rained on for dinner. After the rain stopped, I pulled a nice brook and rainbow out of Long Lake.
A young couple pulled in around 6:00 and set up camp next to us. They had attempted the pass and turned around, as wise move. They were cold and wet. They bugged out latter while we slept.
Next morning dawned clear. The look back up the mountains was glorius:
We continued down to Parchers, hopped on the road, and rolled down to the Tyee Lakes TH. The climb as steep, but the view could be good. Image
We climbed up to the first Tyee Lake and camped there.
Lots of skinny Brooks.
Next morning we continued up Table Mountain. Here’s the Upper Tyee Lake
Then, up to the top of Table Mountain:
My GPS shows 11,600 elevation at the Table Mountain Pass.
Coming down, we went by George Lake:
Before dropping down to Lake Sabrina:
Then back to the car at North Lake. Total trip: 70.5 miles
justm
Topix Regular

Re: TR North Lake to South Lake 8/17-8/24

Post by justm »

Thanks for that TR !! Love the photos, looks like you had some nice fish to eat, how did you cook them? How did your food hold out?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

It might be the same trek that almost everyone has done but it's still on my list to do. I loved the pictures and thank you for the report.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I have a good aluminum frying pan and I brought some olive oil. Made for a nice addition to the meals. Our packed food was in the bear canister. I can get 8 days worth in my BearVault with some effort. Food in my bear canister is by far my heaviest item in my pack.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

That brings back a lot of memories! I did the exact same complete loop in the same direction, save that I started at South Lake and did Tyee and Table Mountain first instead of last.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&start=0&hilit=kpeter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hardly recognize Table Mountain. When I went over in late July of 2011 it was green or snowy. What a difference a dry season and a few months makes. It is so nice to see the same places under different conditions.

I liked the rock monster! Well done!

Thank you for posting the pics. It was fun to vicariously relive the hike!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your TR and photos! I like the addition of the Tyee Lakes section to complete the loop. I was out in Evolution the following week and we got some exciting lightning storms at Wanda.
scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

Goldfish, thanks for the great report. My son wasn't so lucky when we passed by the LeConte monster in late July!

Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Sorry for your loss :D
Kudos for figuring out my handle.
scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

Kudos for figuring out my handle.
I live in Indonesia. Unfortunately I have eaten a lot more ikan mas than trout recently. :(