Florence taxi service closed 9/9/12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Florence taxi service closed 9/9/12

Post by overheadx2 »

I was just at Florence, and they had planned on stopping the water taxi on the 15th, but as of 9/8/12, they planned to close on 9/9/12 due to lack of water. the story was that they had done some dam repairs to shaver lake, and are needing to refill it. They drained Edison first, but now need more water from Florence, so the closure date was moved up. Unfortunately for many of the folks we met at and around the Muir Trail Ranch who had been told that the taxi would run until the 15th it looks like they are in for a long hot hike around the lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Florence taxi service closed 9/9/12

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Once I missed the ferry by about 5 minutes (I could see it out in the water). I hiked around the lake and it really was not that bad. Those planning on using the ferry for their exit will have light packs so I think they will be just fine. I did not have a map showing the trail and I had no trouble staying on it. It does, however, have more elevation gain than I had anticipated.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Story I heard is that Edison Co. started draining Florence early and neglected to inform MTR of the change in date. Flow needs of the SJR Restoration Project was apparently the cause of the shift in dates.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Backpack2Fish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Backpack2Fish »

If anyone is interested, I went kayaking on Florence Lake last weekend. The taxi service has definitely stopped. The water is very low.