Darwin Col?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Darwin Col?

Post by Bluewater »

While returning from a section of the High Route last week I met a guy who was scouting a route from Blue Heaven Lake (in Sabrina Basin) to Darwin Canyon via Darwin Col. After crossing several x/c passes this summer I'm psyched to try more, especially around the Darwin Canyon/Evolution area, possibly this year before winter kicks in.

There is very little info in Secor about this 'Class II Pass' and just a short mention of it on summitpost. I searched HST for 'Darwin Col' with no luck and it doesn't seem to be on the HST map.

I realize there is a wealth of wisdom and experience here on HST. Does anyone have experience with this pass? Any help would be much appreciated!
darwin col.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Darwin Col?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Some routes are just so rarely taken that you might as well be one of the early explorers when you take it on. If you get out there take plenty of photos and do a write up of the pass.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Some routes are just so rarely taken that you might as well be one of the early explorers when you take it on. If you get out there take plenty of photos and do a write up of the pass.
Cool. Thanks Rogue. I was thinking you might be one of those early explorers. I better hurry and get out there.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Haven't been there. but this might be of some use:

http://www.summitpost.org/the-climb-to- ... -from/1457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this:

http://doors.stanford.edu/sabrina-2012/Pages/22.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

If that notch really went class 2 it would be a rather interesting route. The photo sure looks like class 2 on the east side, at least.

I can't say I've been that way, but I've always wondered if one could go WNW from the uppermost Schober Hole over the shoulder (rather than over the low point to the south)--surmounting the lower part on the east would be key. If that went class 2, then that would also be a way over, because I know everything above that lower band is class 2 on both sides.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Darwin Col?

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Paul & giantbrookie. I had seen the pxt from summitpost but not the one from doors.stanford. It gives a much better view of the notch which looks similar to the loose stuff at the top of the east side of Frozen Lake Pass. Thanx for the photos and info re the area near Shober.
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

I went over Darwin Col last week. It is class 2 on both sides. If you're coming from Darwin Canyon, don't take the broad saddle, but rather the narrower scree chute on the east side. If coming from Blue Heaven Lake, the col is pretty obvious, but the chute is really loose and steep. More dangerous if in a large party, just tedious otherwise. I will post some pictures when I get them up tomorrow or wednesday.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Coops wrote:I went over Darwin Col last week. It is class 2 on both sides. If you're coming from Darwin Canyon, don't take the broad saddle, but rather the narrower scree chute on the east side. If coming from Blue Heaven Lake, the col is pretty obvious, but the chute is really loose and steep. More dangerous if in a large party, just tedious otherwise. I will post some pictures when I get them up tomorrow or wednesday.
Thanks Coops. I really appreciate your info about Darwin Col! I'm hoping to get out there in the middle of this month as long as this weather holds. The only pxts I've seen are from the Sabina side, and that chute looks just like you described it. Any photos would be welcomed:). Thanx again,

Andy.
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

Andy,

Check out this link:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

posted the TR with Darwin Col pics in the backpacking section.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Darwin Col?

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for posting your photos of both sides of Darwin Col. I will bring a copy of the west side detail photo to make sure I use the chute to the left of the saddle. Secor mentions that but your photos make it clear. BTW your Ladder/Ionian TR is beautiful. I saw those fall colors on the way down from Dusy on Sept 22nd, probably just missed you.