Bears and Mountain Lions

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Bears and Mountain Lions

Post by jessegooddog »

The recent post of bears (beautiful photos!) makes me curious how many have encountered a mountain lion or two in the sierra, and maybe been lucky enough to photograph it? I have never seen one in the wild, only finding tracks several times in the Santa Monica Mountains, including rural property I once lived on. A sighting is near the top of my bucket list!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bears and Mountain Lions

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as seeing a cougar. I've seen plenty of tracks and even heard one roar loudly one evening just as the sun was going down, but no actual sightings. I think I've seen just about everything else in the Sierra...well...except for maybe a wolverine.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Mountain Lions are very rare to see in the wild. I personally have never seen one. An older guy I know put it like this "I have been doing things out doors and in the backcountry for 60 years and you know how many times I have seen a mountain lion? Once. If you do see one you better enjoy that moment because you may never see one again for the rest of you life."

Sometimes people will tell me they see them all the time but I doubt that allot. They probably see bobcat.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I have seen mountain lions twice in the wild. The first time was while deer hunting in the Greenhorn Mountains above Lake Isabella. It was just after daybreak and a couple of other hunters spooked it up the canyon and past me. They never saw it and I'm sure the only reason I saw it was because he was in such a hurry sneaking away from the other guys.

The second time was on Lake Hughes road between Lake Elizabeth and Castaic. As I was approaching Warm Springs Rehab a huge moutain lion came up and crossed the road into WSR. The local racoon population there was well fed by the WSR resedents and when the population got out of hand Mother Nature sent the lion in to knock the numbers down. It seemed to happen every couple of years.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I see bears 3-4 times per year. Mtn lions maybe once every other year or so. Usually a fleeting glimpse at a distance.

Both my wife and I are quiet hikers, and keep our eyes moving 360 x 360 at both the middle and long distance with binoculars handy.

Scat and tracks are so common they are not noteworthy.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

I've never seen one, but sure want to. Haven't been lucky enough yet.

What I always wonder is, how many mountain lions have seen ME?
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Yes, I have always wondered how many have seen me! Decades ago I was lucky enough to play with a captive one, but I assume my heart would give a little flutter at a wild encounter, just as it does when I am hiking alone and see mom and her cubs.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Not one but 2 HUGE mountain lions just a few feet away.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=748&hilit=+lion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Lucky you, what a sighting!! Hmmm...McGee Creek ought to be showing some great color soon....
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

My friend and I saw a mountain lion as it made a giant leap across Highway 4 (and in front of our car). It looked like it was in pursuit of something. My first response was: Why is there a tan horse leaping across the road - with a LION'S head?

Seen plenty of bobcats; but the sheer size and power of the mountain lion was simply hard to take in. Awesome. Fearsome. Breathtaking. LARGE.

Saw mountain lion tracks at the upper Barrett Lake last year. For some reason I hadn't realized they ranged so high (tracks were at 11,500 feet).

- Elizabeth