Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
SilentGiant
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

Post by SilentGiant »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this discussion group so forgive me if this has already been discussed. This is a slightly different take on the subject.

In my spare time, I research and investigate alleged bigfoot and sasquatch sightings in the Central and Southern California areas. I've spoken to quite a few witnesses regarding the subject and let me tell you, there are more than you think. Of course there are the some who are misinterpreting, exaggerating or otherwise flat out crazy, but that is often fairly easy to determine through a simple interview. However, it's hard to flat-out discount the testimony of experienced hunters, fishermen, outdoorsmen, Forest Service, military, law enforcement and the otherwise credible people who I assume frequent this site. That's not saying anything about the valid physical evidence that has been collected, much of which the general public knows very little about. I'll throw it out there that as a child I witnessed what could have been one of these elusive creatures, and as an adult I treat this subject with the utmost respect and seriousness.

I am currently soliciting stories from folks who might have had these experiences and are reluctant to share them with anyone else. I'm also happy to hear tales that have already been told or that you'd be willing to share in this thread. If this starts a discussion that's great.

For some reason, this subject seems to elicit a viscerally strong reaction in most people, with the majority making the absolute assertion that the subject if for crackpots and fools. I happen to think otherwise. I'm used to the sideways glances and eye rolls from the general public, but I'd hope that we could leave the teasing and ridicule out of this thread. I'm ready for the inevitable mother-in-law jokes, so fire away. My skin is thick and I have a sense of humor.

If you have a story to share, feel free to PM me. I would love to hear about it.

Thanks so much for your time.

-Scott
k9mark
Topix Regular

Re: Seeking Bigfoot Encounter Stories

Post by k9mark »

I'm surprised no one has any stories...
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm not.

I grew up in the mountains and have been in them frequently in the past 30 years, and monthly/bimonthly/trimonthly for the past seven. I have never seen, heard nor heard anyone ever mention anything that may have remotely been a bigfoot.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have never myself even remotely seen anything like that.

One man in Bubbs Creek near where you leave the tree line headed for Forester claims two years in a row he saw a pair of yeti with arms down to their feet. He was back again looking to see them again but didn't.

I never try to make fun of anyone based on simple things like this but this guy was a classic image of a man that has done allot of LSD. I don't doubt he saw something for sure.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I tend to stay away from the topic. So many of the so-called 'credible' and 'reliable' sightings on the various bigfoot web sites are fabrications submitted just to see if the story would be printed.

and some people still insist the patterson film hoax is genuine. I laugh at that one...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

k.. I'll play.. what altitude are you looking at because at some point you're talking about sustainability of a rather large creature. Heck, bears and deer don't even play up high anymore except went moving from range to range. What altitude are you targeting?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is a story about a guy trying to fake a bigfoot sighting that didn't turn out so well:

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/08 ... ise-killed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

For what its worth, here's an old thread with a similar discussion:
Sasquatch Sightings
SilentGiant
Topix Novice

Post by SilentGiant »

Hello All,

I posted this a few days ago and just returned to check the progress. I got a few PM's so to those folks, thank you for your time and trust. As I initially promised, those stories will remain private.

First off I'd like to say that I did not start this thread to debate the possible existence or non-reality of bigfoot. There are plenty of threads on countless sites dedicated to that and there really isn't much of a need for many more. While that discussion is, at it's heart an interesting one, that's not what I'm after here.

I am interested to speaking to those who have either had their own experiences or have heard about qualifying experiences from trustworthy sources. If you know of anyone who might be on the fence about talking to someone like me, you can be assured that I would treat them with the utmost respect and confidentiality.

If you guys care to read any more I'll try to address a few of the questions/ points that have been publicly posted.

AlmostThere: It's not surprising that you have not seen or heard anything bf. related. Most people don't. The forest is vast, people are noisy and most intelligent wildlife will make itself scarce at the approach of humans. We're penetrating a vast expanses of wilderness on a thin network of trails and roads. Most of us find it easy to follow the path of least resistance, be it game trail, indigenous trade route, F.S. trail, fire road, or mountain roads. Even considering all of those in their totality I'd assume that the majority of the space we consider to be thoroughly explored is in all actuality a very small area surrounding these thoroughfares. The remaining 99% is quite a bit of space.

As far as people talking freely about potential bf experiences, it just doesn't happen that often. The general public has a habit of instantly minimizing everything to a talking point, ie: "drunk", "crazy", "lying", "misinterpretation" etc. so many witnesses probably keep their mouths shut rather than dealing with the scorn thrown their way. Some folks I've spoken have agonized for a long time before coming forward to talk to someone about it. I'm sure it's not the case on this board, but even within the community of bf researchers and enthusiasts there's a nasty undertone to many conversations.

RoughPhotonic: Do you have any idea of who that guy was and how I might contact him? If he's really an acid casualty it might not be worth the time but you never know.

Dave54: I don't believe that the Patterson/Gimlin film has ever been debunked. Many have tried including the author Greg Long and a man named Bob Hieronimous. Although Patterson had a few holes in his story and was a bit rough around the edges, he passed away a while ago, going to his grave insisting on the authenticity of the footage. For the past 50 years, Bob Gimlin (the man who accompanied Patterson during those searches) has withstood public scrutiny and ridicule while making nothing in terms of any kind of profit. To this day he will freely talk to anyone that wants to about the film and he has proven to be a man of high integrity by many who have met and known him. I am somewhat on the fence but I tend to believe that the film is authentic. There's a pretty thorough breakdown here if you're interested: http://www.bfro.net/news/korff_scam.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Yes, it's from a pro bigfoot organization but not many others have invested the time into researching and putting it together in one place.

Rlown: From what I can figure, it seems like these things follow the food source in terms of elevation. Many researchers feel that their habitat mirrors that of most other animals, higher in the summer, lower in the winter. I've followed up on more than a few reports that were between 2,000 and 4,000 feet above sea level. Of course there are more people at those elevations to see them, but the logic seems to follow that theory. Oak and Sycamore forests seem to be popular sighting areas. Blackberries are thought to be another major food source. Those are the ares that I tend to check out.

Of course it's all speculation. We don't have a body and there's no way to accurately gauge the credibility of witness reports that are out in the public domain. That's why I'm on this board talking to you all, hoping that I can speak first hand to witnesses and interview them for myself. I'm genuinely interested in hearing their stories and making my own judgement calls as to weather or not to include that "data" in my informal collection. While I really hope that something like a bf could exist, I don't just flat out believe it because I want them to be real. It doesn't hurt to look though and this search of mine gets me out into the most amazing mountain range in the world and I always feel a whole lot better when I clock back into work on Monday.

Thanks for your time everybody and hopefully some more people will chime in.

Have fun out there and be careful. Get some more time in before the snow hits.

Best Regards,

Scott
SilentGiant
Topix Novice

Post by SilentGiant »

By the way, I have no idea why there are hyperlinks to words like "discount" and "law enforcement" in my first post. I din not put them in there.