fish creek hot springs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

fish creek hot springs

Post by The hermit »

Has anyone been there? Was it worth the effort? Planned on doing a loop out of VVR to fish creek and returning via jmt.not sure if I want to hike along edison now that the ferry is shut down. Should I use a different trailhead? Any feedback would help.Thanks
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Re: fish creek hot springs

Post by overheadx2 »

I did the duck pass to Reds meadow semi loop last year. I would say it is worth the extra effort. There are a number of pools on the side of a granite wall. The higher you go the hotter it gets. The pools are relatively clear and clean since the bottom is granite. It gets some use but there were only one other group when I was there (but it was a Thurs). The Pools are pretty separated, so you just grab a pool and you are pretty much by yourself. I can send you some pics if you PM me. From Reds Meadow, I parked at the reds meadow shuttle parking area and took a taxi to lake Mary. Hiked over duck pass to Purple lake and basically around Mammoth Mountain (it's strange to have cell service in the back country). I thought it was a great hike, and the Iva Bell H.S. are probably the nicest I've been to. It didn't seem to get a lot of use since it's about 12 miles from reds meadow. You can make the trip shorter or longer by hitting Virginia Lake and Tully Hole, or just dropping into fish Creek from Purple lake.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Iva Bell Hotsprings I consider to be the best of the 3 backcountry hotspring sites there are. They are certainly worth going to but you never know when you might have allot of people there. Last year in September there were 30 people there for one night.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Yes the Iva Bell hot springs are great. We did the Duck Pass to Reds Meadow loop in 2010 (and met Rogue there!). That is the "standard" route. Here's the trip report: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that at this time of year with the Reds Meadow shuttle stopped, it is rather more complicated to close the loop and you would either need to use two cars, hitch out from Devils Postpile or hike back over Mammoth Pass.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I didn't know you met me there. My 71 day 2010 trip was never posted on this site. Hopefully you werent the two who walked up on me nude in the pool lol.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I didn't know you met me there.
I was with my 9 yr old twins. I think I mentioned that before.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Ok now I remember you. I met you on the day I got there. I spent another there alone until the evening when one party showed up.