That Time Again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: That Time Again

Post by fourputt »

Relieved to hear you survived your "Touching the Voidlette."

Rumors of Fourth Recess approaches are notorious, so yes, careful out there!
ree
Topix Novice

Post by ree »

Hi there, Rogue!
We met you coming down from Mono Pass, near Ruby Lake. It was me, my husband, and gf. All of us are from WA state. It was nice to meet you! :thumbsup:

Glad you survived the trip into Fourth Recess. I read some beta about coming down the west side of the Fourth Recess Lake... still it looked pretty tough any way you slice it. Glad we opted for Pioneer Basin instead of Third and Fourth Recesses. Such a great area to explore. I think we'll come back and check out the mine next time.

I got a picture of you heading down from Mono Pass. I wanted to post it but not sure how to do that yet.

Just wanted to say hi and wish you a wonderful, safe trip. Take care. ree
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I remember you three. Good talking to you! I think I told you three how I was going to detour out and hit up Pie In the Sky Cafe which worked out better then I had hoped because I met two nice laddies when I was almost to the trail head and they gave me a ride to the cafe and bought me pie then also took me back to the trail head so I did not loose any miles that day.

As for me right now I am in Mammoth. I found sort of a pad in the camping area at VVR which was a sun blocker people put in their car windows but had some padding. Over all the thing sort of sucked but it got me to Reds Meadow fine. What I decided to do is since I have been 5 days behind schedule as it is I am going to cut out the section of going back to Nelson Lake in Yosemite. I will just go through fast on the JMT and over the Mammoth Crest. I worked it out so that I wont come into Mammoth again doing buy as you go resupply. I should have enough food to make it to VVR once gain which of course will be closed but people will still be around and they know I am coming. So my plan now is to just do my luxury stay section here in Mammoth for 2 days and get what I need. The only down side is I think I would have liked it better later on my way back south when I have been out for along time with no locations that have shower our laundry. But it at least solves my problem of spending more money and by the time I get back to VVR I should only be 1 day at most behind my paper written schedule.

So I will be back on trail again Monday headed for all that zigzagging through Yosemite. Hopefully I will make it to the summit of Clyde Minaret without too much trouble.

As for the last section had a bit of a surprise at Graveyard Lakes. The camp I stayed in had a beach chair to sit in and someone had stashed 2 cans of chili, one can of clam chowder, a can of cheese wiz unused, one can of ravioli and another large can of ravioli that was over two pounds. I was torn between should I leave it or treat it as trail magic some packer probably left behind which I did so I ate good there! :D

I also was able to pass between Peter Panda Lake and beetlebug Lake fairly easy. Beetlebug Lake goes on the list of lakes worth going back to for sure. Reminded me of Hamilton Lake.

I'm finally getting to see the damage caused by the wind storm around here and it's a sight to see. I still miss not getting on those trail projects. You would be a C bucker by the time your done!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Hi Rogue. Remember, schedules are just for general structure. They are not to be followed, even if they are just a little inconvenient. I want to read your stuff for years. Please be more careful.

Your friend, CC.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So this trip comes to a crashing end! I was injured badly on rodgers pass and I either did or I think nearly broke my tail bone and I sliced my finger open badly. I spent the next three days hobbling out of the sierra in bad shape. Im in bishop now on my way home tomorrow. Ill post details when I get home and off this moble device.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you make it the rest of the way home safely.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Considering the amount of terrain I covered and the amount of time I spend in these mountains it was going to happen some time. If I had been more badly hurt I would be dead right now because no one would have found me. So it could have been worse.
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

Really sorry to hear that Rogue but glad you made it out sort of in one piece. Looking forward to all the stories and beautiful pictures once you heal up. Knowing that area well, there is no easy way out, so again, i am just glad you are still able to 'log in' and didn't 'log out'. Be safe, heal strong.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well sitting back home now certainly not happy with being back. Society is certainly a disgusting creature. And any day I think back on being in the wild brings mostly despair now that I am back. Oh well time to settle back into the ugliness.

So the last section from Mammoth I did the lakes tour around the Minarets hitting up Fern, Anona, Gertrude, Ashley, No Name, Holcomb and then Becks. I went to Cecille Lake and climbed Clyde Minaret which was the wildest climb I have done for sure. I lost the Rock Route once and ended up on some nasty class 5 with major exposure but I got back on after a bit. Then at this point I didn't feel like taking on the Ritter / Banner Saddle with no ice gear so I just went around to Davis Lakes on the Muir Trail and then cut over past Rodgers Lakes and up past the Marie Lakes to the bottom of Rodgers Pass. I crossed it and was 50 feet from the bottom when a rock rolled on me and sent me airborne smashing on top of a rock right in my tail bone area and although I did not feel any pop I knew right away it was a bad hit. I looked at my hand and it was already covered in blood and making a mess every where. I knew how badly I was hurt and began going into a state of shock which is something that has always annoyed me. I learned years ago that I can easily go into shock from dwelling too badly on wounds. I once began going into shock over a small cut at work because of how pissed I was and how much it sucked. So anyway since this began to happen I thought damn I need to get to the water for my hand and hopefully that can distract my mind so I can recover but as soon as I stood up I knew I could not walk from dizziness and my vision flashed black. I sat back down as the typical symptoms assaulted me. Cold flashes over my body, sweating heavily over my whole body, ears begin ringing as all other sound begins to fade away, dizziness to the point of being ready to black out and my vision began going as almost everything became white most likely from heavy pupil dilatation. I took out my camera and filmed myself as this was going on and talking to the camera helped my concentration. Once I had recovered enough I made my way to the water and patched myself up. Then it took me 3 days of hobbling to get out to Tuolumne. On day 2 I ran into a Ranger who took down reports and called a doctor. When I pulled off my bandage on my finger which I had changed once it pulled a decent size rock out of the wound which only worried the doctor in Yosemite Valley which was on the phone more about infection. I could see there were two more rocks in there so the Ranger got his knife and dug them out for me. Luckily the wound showed no signs of infection since I had done all the right things with my first aid and although I was hurting the Ranger was comfortable enough to leave me to find my own way out. Either one of my wounds in itself would have been too much to continue so I had to call it and come home. But like I said if I had been unable to walk at the head of the Lyell Fork where I was no one would have ever found me. This many days in I would have already slit my wrists and died so it could have been worse.

Now of course comes the long task of getting images up on FlickR and figuring out how to write a story for this trip. I have more then 128 gigs of full memory cards so I have work to do.

I need to add up how many passes I crossed but I know I visited 202 lakes and climbed 13 peaks in 111 days of my 2012 hike.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Glad you got back safely. Looking forward to the trip report and especially the photos!