Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

Post by TehipiteTom »

mshields wrote:Tom,

Rock Island Lake it is; thanks again for your help and input.

I think I have a pretty clear idea of my itenerary now. One last question and I will leave you in peace. If I decided to change my direction; i.e. RIL to Doe instead of Doe to RIL, will the ramp still be fairly easy to identity?
I haven't done it in that direction, and I often suffer from Reverse Route Amnesia, so take this with a grain of salt...but I think it should be pretty easy to find (possibly easier than from below) if you just head ENE from Suicide Ridge, through the great big meadow at the head of Crazy Mule Gulch, to the stream that drains into Slide Canyon via the ramp.

Have a great trip!
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mshields »

Will do!

I will put together a trailreport when I get back.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I think just a visit to the lake would be a worthy destination.

As for routes in the area, I know of none. secor describes "tower pass" he just says to climb to the broad saddle from tower lake and descend on the west side of the creek to tilden lake. But once at the pass it might be possible to head east...you would want to be highly experienced to try this.

this has some info you might like to read
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

sparky wrote:
this has some info you might like to read
Sparky,

Thanks for the link; a bit out of my league, but as you mentioned the lake might be a viable destination.

Wish I had a private plane to do some pre-trip reconnaissance like they did. :cool:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mshields
Tower Lake to Saddle to the S..jpg
possible route between Tower and Craig Peaks.jpg

About route between Rock Island Lake and Slide Canyon--did it over 30 years ago in reverse--Wilson Canyon, Tallulah, Doe, Slide then out of the Canyon w to the upper reaches of Crazy Mule Gulch and across Suicide Ridge--piece of cake-- but everything was 30 years ago :D . I selected the route because reading some old book back in college in the late 60s I found a map of old cavalry trails. I figured that even if I couldn't find the trail if a horse could do that slope I could. I didn't find the trail. My plan was to just bounce over each ridge until I got to Jack Main Canyon but once I got to Kerrick Meadows I opted to take the trail to Jack Main Canyon before heading off trail again.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

oldranger wrote:mshields

I selected the route because reading some old book back in college in the late 60s I found a map of old cavalry trails.
oldranger,

Wow, I would have never guessed; would like to get my hands on a book like that some day.

Thanks for the pics. It's hard to judge by a single picture, but the route between Tower/Craig Peaks might be a decent way to get to Mary Lake.

Good to hear I will be able to navigate the Slide-RIL route without any problems; as I don't necessarily have a ton of experience in the x-c category. As a side note, you are the first one I have heard from that has actually taken the Wilson Canyon entry. Do you recall in the short span of 30 years :smirk: anything worth mentioning on the stretch between Wilson and Slide?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

mshields wrote:
oldranger wrote:mshields

I selected the route because reading some old book back in college in the late 60s I found a map of old cavalry trails.
oldranger,

Wow, I would have never guessed; would like to get my hands on a book like that some day.
It doesn't have the map, but you should check out a book called Splendid Mountains, edited by Peter Browning. It's a collection of accounts by early high Sierra explorers, from Frank Dusy and Lilbourne Winchell to Bolton Brown and Joseph LeConte. Lieutenant McClure writes about his patrols in northern Yosemite, including Slide Canyon (and the ramp therefrom).

The whole thing is good reading, but that in particular may be of interest to you.

Edit: well, whattaya know--it does have McClure's maps (not sure if they're the same ones Oldranger was talking about).
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Thanks Tom,

Definitely interested; I will order a copy when I get home this evening (provided someone else doesn't get the last copy on Amazon between now and then) Look forward to the reading.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mshields

I left the trail in Wilson canyon where crosses the creek and heads s to Benson Pass. As I recall (right!) it was pretty easy going to the top and Tallulah and the route down to Doe was pretty obvious. I dropped down to Slide Canyon from the n. end of Doe. a little nasty but geeze I did it! The first half mile or so up slide was a tangle of trees so not a lot of fun but a fun adventure. I'm sure I missed "the ramp" but still no significant problem getting out of Slide Canyon. By the way we are so tuned in to windfall due to the event last fall that we forget that a lot of downed trees at higher elevations are really the result of winter avalanches. I might note that I always wait for late September in wet years to visit N. Yosemite--easier stream crossings but still water (those s. trending watersheds can get dry) and fewer (I used to say no, until last september) mosquitoes, fewer people (in 1980 I went a stretch of 5 days and a stretch of 8 days (during a 3 week solo trip from TM to HH) without seeing another person, most of those days were off trail though. The stretch of 5 days was broken by a strikingly beautiful naked lady!)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The stretch of 5 days was broken by a strikingly beautiful naked lady!
=D>

The trianglular area from benson lake to crazy mule gulch to rock island lake looks absolutely wonderful. I have wanted to visit there for years, and just zig zaging through the cracks. There is a couple small tarns here and there that look like they might have spectacular views.