Cirque Pass Location

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
artgazdik
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Cirque Pass Location

Post by artgazdik »

I am planning a hike and noticed the Cirque Pass may be plotted in the wrong location on the HST Map.

I believe Cirque Pass that is located just to the southwest of the pass noted as Cirque on the map. The pass labeled as Cirque Pass appears to be Chimney Pass in some publications.
caddis
Founding Member

Re: Cirque Pass Location

Post by caddis »

http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... =2&zoom=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click the red tabs
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I've never been over the passes so cannot verify from experience, but I found this webpage on climber.org which has a link to a map with positions of the pass...
http://www.climber.org/Secor/chimneyPass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...showing different locations than what we've got posted on the HST map. Based upon the topos and what I've heard of the passes those positions make more sense, so I've made the changes in their positions. Maverick placed the pass markers so I'll let him chime in as he may have more direct experience, and of course anyone else who have cross the pass is sure to chime in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If this was not the way it was set up than its is my bad. Sometime spent 3-4 hours
at one time placing passes, so may have mixed up the names.
http://sierrabackpacker.com/PalisadeCrest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
artgazdik
Topix Newbie

Post by artgazdik »

Thanks the update Maverick. The map is a great planning tool. My friend and I used it to plan our hike that crossed Cirque, Pot Luck, Knapsack, Black Giant, Wanda and Alpine. Although, I skipped over Muir and sleep in at Wanda Lake waiting for Steve to cross Black Giant and Wanda Pass.

I work with maps and GIS for a living and know about edits...they are never done.

Thanks again, Art
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Cirque Pass is as shown in both the links above. It is mainly a route finding challenge in the area heading down to (or up from) Palisade Lakes Basin -- there are no cliffs to speak of to negotiate if you find the right route -- follow the path of least resistance. There is no class 3 hiking involved on Cirque at all unless you try to force it by going straight up (and off route). The north side is easy and the route is obvious.

Potluck Pass, on the other hand, is steep on the south side just below the top, for a short stretch. I've never been able to find the "diagonal granite ledges" at the SW edge of the pass that Secor refers to, instead always just forcing my way straight up or down.

I posted a trip report here in 2009 with photos of both passes.

Mike
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I notcied this mistake along time ago but never got aroumd to saying something. I think rodgers pass is wrong also but I need to get on a computer to check for sure.