Mt. Conness/Conness Glacier conditions?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
rwadsworth
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt. Conness/Conness Glacier conditions?

Post by rwadsworth »

Reposting this in the correct forum:

Hello and thanks to all for a very informative and inspiring forum! I am heading to climb Conness/North Peak this weekend and wondered if anyone had any beta on the glacier conditions? Many thanks!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Conness/Conness Glacier conditions?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I haven't passed by that area yet this year but it's best to assume the glacier is a mess of solid ice with very little soft snow layer on top. Most snow left out here right now is like this.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I'm probably too late, but I did the scramble up to North Peak last weekend and took some pictures of that area. Here they are:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... &k=wV8mV5n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ree
Topix Novice

Post by ree »

Hi RoguePhotonic,
We were up at Conness after we met up with you at Mono Pass/Little Lakes Valley.

We came up Conness' south eastern ridge. No snow to speak of, except a token patch near the summit block. On the north slope, there is hard ice coming up from Conness Lakes... where my topo map indicates a glacier. I wouldn't want to touch that. Towards the summit, we ran into a couple coming up from the Saddlebag Lake area, but they didn't use the northern approach.

I hope that helps. :)