Fall Classic

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Fall Classic

Post by The hermit »

In oct. 2010 I did the north lake-south lake loop solo. It was great to listen as the sf giants made their run to a world series win. In honor of another run at baseballs fall clasic(I hope)im thinking a classic sierra hike would be appropriate. Rae lakes loop is one idea. How does it compare? Any suggestions?
Herm
Topix Regular

Re: Fall Classic

Post by Herm »

From Herm to The hermit - nice idea. I assume you are a Giants fan - I have bled Dodger Blue all of my life, and I applaud the rivalry. Good luck if you embark, and if you do, may favorable weather bless your travels.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Last time the weather was perfect. Warm days cool nights. Swimming weather... until the last morning when it started to snow. Needless to say I packed up in a hurry.Thankfully I had made it over bishop pass the day before!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I've done Rae Lakes Loop (RLL) and also 2/3 of the N-S Lake Loop trail (all but Humphreys Basin/Piute Creek leg). RLL is roughly split into one long climb and one long descend vs the multiple high passes of the NSLL. Also RLL drops to much lower altitudes (5200ft near Roads End) than NSLL so the days/nights will typically be warmer.

Personally I liked RLL and I really like the Woods Creek Jct through Rae Lakes area, but it's hard to compare to the scenery of Evolution Valley. And hiking down over Muir Pass is pretty special. My next medium length trip will likely be NSLL.