TR - Sabrina Basin - 9/4 - 9/8/12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Sabrina Basin - 9/4 - 9/8/12

Post by Jimr »

I like Sabrina basin as well. I've been there 4 times. In the early '70's, you could camp on the island in Blue lk. We brought an inflatable 3 man raft and rowed there from the outlet. Back then, there were mostly rainbow trout. We spent 3 days soaking worms on flashers and catching lots of trout. Next time I went back was in the '80's. I stayed about where you camped at the inlet side. A nice forested camp spot. I took the wife & kids there in 2009 and stayed in a wonderful spot to the left of the outlet stream (facing the lake). A nicely forested camp spot which I'm sure gets pack outfitter use because before you pass around the last rock outcropping before seeing the lake, there is a use trail that heads there. I went back again in 2009, but this time went solo to Hungry Packer Lk. That was a great solo trip that took me up to Wallace/Haechel col. in 40 mph winds. Hungry Packer has very limited campsite possibilities, but I did manage to find a decent spot on top of a small bench above the lake. I might take my son there next year, but stay at Moonlight or thereabouts.

I think the lack of any easy access over the escarpment keeps the traffic down a bit in this area, but there is so much to explore just in the watershed that it is worth going back.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

Jimr;
I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they dislike the Sabrina Basin. If the spot at Blue Lake is the one in the trees on the bench above the southwest corner, then yes. The spot has a great view of the length of the lake, much of the west flank of Thompson Ridge, as well as Piute Crags, and a filtered view of the high peaks south.
At Moonlight Lake, there is a broad sandy bench near the outlet that is nice and level, but wide open - and I believe it is just quite far enough from the water to be legal. It made a great spot in good weather when I stayed there in 2007. Good that you have a family that packs.

KathyW and Mradford;
I'm glad you appreciated the report. It is a pleasure to give back on this site.

Thanks HST!
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

Great TR! :thumbsup:

I'm heading up there tomorrow morning. Taking a friend and her kid, booth of whom have never been to the Sierras before. Looking at those photos of yours is going to get them very excited.

Were there any mosquitos? Also, are there any decent camp spots near Donkey or Baboon lakes? We had thought to spend one night in that area and another near hungry packer...
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Thanks Dave - I hope you all enjoy a wonderful trip. There were a few mosquitoes, and lots of midges it seemed, but I did not use any repellent, and came away with no bites. Most of the time I was covered except hands and face. That is one of the great benefits of backpacking/hiking in September. Around Donkey Lake, I saw plenty of good spots to make camp. At Baboon Lake (the lowest and largest), I walked around for maybe 5 minutes, then got down to the serious business of fishing. There may be some good spots to camp, I just didn't bother seeking them out. Especially on a weekend, you will probably find the Hungry Packer Lake arm of the basin to be much more crowded, but good luck on that anyway.
Cheers,
Herm
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

herm >>>"...Still closer to the trailhead, I found this sign that summer is coming to an end, and autumn is fast approaching..."

Yep those talus aspen on the east side of South Lake a bit above 10k are often among the first trees to begin changing to yellows. I'm expecting there will be quite a lot more to look a very shortly.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Dave;
I wish I could say that I "know" about the South Fork Bishop Creek drainage - unfortunately, I know little from actually having my boots on the ground - in fact, I know nothing. But that area is mighty close to where I was. Note that the little aspen in my photo is on the west side of the trail. As memory serves, I think the trees on the east side of the trail had more color, including some golds and reds, but the southern exposure would not have allowed for photos.
Thaniks for taking the time to chime in. As always, I anticipate some good photos from your future excursions.
Herm
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Looks like you had a great trip. I had a chance to peek into Sabrina Basin for the first time yesterday and the brief preview had me wanting to come back for a proper trip soon.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Really beautiful photos ! I'm going to head out there next year. Thanks for the TR!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Baboon Lakes? Is there a regular trail into the Baboons now? It used to be cross country up some slabs, as I recall.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Very nice report and photos that bring back many memories. Baboon Lakes are lovely and enough off the beaten track that they can feel more isolated than the rest of the highly used Sabrina Basin.

No other place in the Sierra outside the Sabrina basin calls me back so often.