Is Deer Hunting Season going on?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Is Deer Hunting Season going on?

Post by madeintahoe »

I know that it has either started or is about to start...but not sure.
I have tried to look at CDFG website that shows a map of the different zones and when the hunting starts...but can't seem to find it.
Does anyone know of a simple link that shows what areas are open and how long they go for Deer Hunting? This would be around Tahoe, Carson Pass area..and the east side of the Sierra.

I am always cautious when out hiking while hunting season is going on and do worry about flying bullets.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is Deer Hunting Season going on?

Post by rlown »

Craig Stowers, Deer Program Coordinator, (916) 445-3553
Media Contact:
Janice Mackey, DFG Communications, (916) 322-8908
Archery Season Well Under Way in Coast Range

As autumn approaches, many of California’s deer hunters are preparing for the
general season opener in mid-September and early October. Archery deer season has been in full swing with the first zone opening to archers in July.
“Although we had a dry year, we have not seen indications of major population declines or increases in any of our zones,” said Craig Stowers Deer Program Coordinator. “This year’s forecast looks normal in terms of deer numbers, but I want to caution hunters to carefully watch their zones for fires, which can interrupt their hunting plans. Detailed fire information is located on several web sites including those maintained by CAL FIRE, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. ”
http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2012/09/0 ... t-to-open/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I always see hunters the last weekend of Sept/first of October in the Bridgeport area. Fall is my most active time to hike, I have never heard gunshots or seen hunters in the eastern sierra south of Virginia lakes, but I assume they are out there and my dog wears a bright scarf. Fish and Game must have a 760 area code number??
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We actually saw 2 older hunters hiking out last year from Muriel Sept 16th. Terrible place to hunt but they were still there.

Monitor Pass is a hotbed of activity as well.

As far as "when is the season open?".. you have to read the regs.. It's by zone and I think there are ~29 zones? and then Archery opens early and then General follows.

Just wear orange.

Russ
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

madeintahoe wrote:Does anyone know of a simple link that shows what areas are open and how long they go for Deer Hunting? This would be around Tahoe, Carson Pass area..and the east side of the Sierra.

Is this what you're looking for?
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I hope this helps, be careful out there and make your presence known. Here is a link to opening dates by zone and a link to the zone map http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/ ... nemap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/ ... easons.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you everyone...I am late getting back here...CDFG site is a little confusing to find the dates...I must not be looking at it correctly.

I am thinking it has already started ..or this weekend coming up.
Yes..wearing orange is a good idea.

Thank you all again!
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

Don't worry too much about hunters.. We are not the trigger happy idiots that some people make us out to be... I admit there are a few slob hunters that give us a bad name but these folks stay on the roads and hunt from their vehicles.. The ones that you encounter in the back country are passionate about the sport and have a much higher form of ethics compared to the few bad apples that road hunt..
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

I can say first hand that the Season is in full swing around Bridgeport area. I was just up in the Hoover Wilderness and could def hear gunshots throughout the Green Creek area. However I have to agree with the last post. The vast majority of Hunters, A. Know the power of a gun. B. Have trained to fire guns for in many cases since they were very young. C. Know the benefits to holding fire when stalking game. Blaze Orange is always a good idea, but I feel far more ill-at-ease in high crime urban areas than hunting zones.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

BrianF wrote:...be careful out there and make your presence known.
Whatever you do, don't spread your fingers and put you thumbs on your temples out there! ;)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;