Driving to Wet Meadows TH vs Upper Sunset Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SHigSpeed
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Driving to Wet Meadows TH vs Upper Sunset Lake

Post by SHigSpeed »

I'm planning to hit a section of the PCT towards Ebbets this weekend, but I know that the road to Wet Meadows is junk for a low riding 2WD car. Can anyone comment on the road to Upper Sunset? I heard it's not as bad and only a bit of an extra hike?

Thanks!

_SHig
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Driving to Wet Meadows TH vs Upper Sunset Lake

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Last time I was that way, the road, once past Tamarack, wasn't all that good, but that was last year after a heavy winter. Lots of washed out creekbeds and the like, not good driving for a low profile 2WD, but perhaps things are better now, but I can't say for sure.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

[float=][/float]I was up there 8/10-8/13.The road to wet meadow is definitely 4wheel drive mandatory. The road to sunset is fine for any car except an actual lowrider. You only save 3/4 of a mile. Its so close I walked back to sunset and still beat my friends who were driving. Let us know how it is up there. Ive been wanting to hike from sunset to hwy 4.
SHigSpeed
Topix Acquainted

Post by SHigSpeed »

The hermit wrote:[float=][/float]I was up there 8/10-8/13.The road to wet meadow is definitely 4wheel drive mandatory. The road to sunset is fine for any car except an actual lowrider. You only save 3/4 of a mile. Its so close I walked back to sunset and still beat my friends who were driving. Let us know how it is up there. Ive been wanting to hike from sunset to hwy 4.
Cool, thanks. My car is lowered, but not a "lowrider" necessarily.

Problem is that the permits are at WM, were there any ate Sunset?

Wet Meadows is doable in 2WD with some creative driving and use of lumber. Didn't even lose the chin spoiler! (This isn't the car I'm planning on driving this time...)

_SHig
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

_SHig,

I wonder where you are going? :D

Be sure to post a TR.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SHigSpeed
Topix Acquainted

Post by SHigSpeed »

Vaca Russ wrote:_SHig,

I wonder where you are going? :D

Be sure to post a TR.

-Russ

<LOL> Is it that obvious? Hope it's not all pollen-slick and green this time... Bah, doesn't matter, the trip'll be worth it regardless.

_SHig
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

This is what it looked like 2 years ago in October:
Scum.JPG
That was in the worst corner of the lake. I had a great time fishing. :)

Good luck!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Wet meadow was very green and funky. Didnt stop us from swimming. The next day we hiked out of grouse lake trailhead to granite and grouse lakes. Beautiful. Highly reccomend those two
SHigSpeed
Topix Acquainted

Post by SHigSpeed »

Trip report here:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=6&t=8353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, Sunset Lakes TH was a breeze to get to and not too much of a penalty in distance vs. time.

No algae bloom or pollen, but again no bugs.

_SHig