Visalia to Jerky Meadow to the Golden Trout Pack Station

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Visalia to Jerky Meadow to the Golden Trout Pack Station

Post by overheadx2 »

Any one know of a shuttle service from Visalia or Porterville to the Golden trout Pack station or that area. I would like to start in Visalia, take the SEKI to lodgepole and hike/ fish to the fork of the Kern/ Jerky meadow area.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Visalia to Jerky Meadow to the Golden Trout Pack Station

Post by AlmostThere »

No shuttle I am aware of.

Hope you are a good navigator. Trails south of the park boundary are overgrown, eroded or faint to nonexistent. They likely improve as you get closer to jerky or Lewis trailheads.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I've been up there from Jerky, and the trails are pretty good. Lots of pack trips up to the Kern keep the trails pretty well used.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

So all the thorns and nonexistant trail south of farewell gap were my imagination?

We ran into a hunter who came up from Lewis over labor day who said to expect bad to no trail south of there. We found he was correct.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I had no interest in the farewell gap trail and didn't mention it. I was just interested in possible transportation to the Golden Trout Pack Station. My idea is to hike down the well used rattlesnake Creek trail or down to Junction meadow to the Funston Meadow area and fish the Kern down to Grasshopper flats and the head for Jerky Meadow so that I wouldn't have to back track. It's been a few years since I was at the Kern trail, but when I was there the river trail was definitely overused from the pack trains from Jerky meadow up to Little Kern Lake and Hole in the Ground, I'm sure that farewell gap trail could very well be overgrown. Thanks for the heads up.