Trail tacos

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
AndyMac321
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trail tacos

Post by AndyMac321 »

One of my favorite home made backcountry meals......
At home
Cook 1 lb taco meat according to packet instructions. Dehydrate on 3-4 trays. Dehydrate cup or two of pico de gallo. Cut a small piece of chesse from a block and put in ziplock. Put taco meat in freezer bag. Put pico in small ziplock. I like to put all bags in one food saver vacuum bag and seal. ( leave zip locks open while sealing.) bring tortillas!

Put cold water in pico ziplock just to cover. Boil water and just cover meat in freezer bag. Let sit in cozy for ten minutes. While waiting cut or shred cheese and rip up tortilla. When the meat is done, add all ingredients and stir.

Enjoy.

Let me know what you think if you try it.
87TT
Topix Regular

Re: Trail tacos

Post by 87TT »

Great, now I'm hungry #-o
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

That sounds pretty good. I made my own vegetarian version of tacos for my recent trip to Sabrina Basin. In a freezer bag I combined about equal parts black bean flakes, cous cous, and soy-based "taco bits" along with some freeze-dried jalapenos. Add boiling water and place in a cozy. Multi-grain tortillas with green chili, and some cheese (Baby Bel this time). While the fillings are warming in the cozy, I stick a torilla in the cozy to warm, then put some cheese on the tortilla, scoop out some filling, and enjoy.
It would probably go well with a beer, but I don't think freeze-dried beer has been perfected, yet.
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

We always have "Fiesta Night". Dehydrated refried beans,dehydrated spanish rice topped with Chili Cheese Fritos. Usually instant pudding for dessert. Ole!
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trail tacos

Post by ironmike »

What about the freeze-dried margaritas?
funcrew
Topix Acquainted

Post by funcrew »

Put your fry pan on a bed of coals. Ignoring the fry pan for now, place your gutted, head-on trout directly onto the coals and cook on both sides until the skin loosens easily. While your hiking buddy removes the skin (& thus the ash), salts the fish, and gently removes the filets from the skeleton, warm your corn tortillas in your fry pan. Spoon a healthy portion of trout onto warm tortilla. Enjoy!
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Herm wrote:That sounds pretty good. I made my own vegetarian version of tacos for my recent trip to Sabrina Basin. In a freezer bag I combined about equal parts black bean flakes, cous cous, and soy-based "taco bits" along with some freeze-dried jalapenos. Add boiling water and place in a cozy. Multi-grain tortillas with green chili, and some cheese (Baby Bel this time). While the fillings are warming in the cozy, I stick a torilla in the cozy to warm, then put some cheese on the tortilla, scoop out some filling, and enjoy.
It would probably go well with a beer, but I don't think freeze-dried beer has been perfected, yet.
Cheers,
Herm
Those sound good - thanks for sharing the recipe.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Throw in some crystal light mojito or margarita mix with or w/o alcohol and I've got one of next years meals planned. Thanks for the info, Phil
bluefish
Topix Acquainted

Post by bluefish »

I think this put me over the edge for getting a dehydrator. My wife and I love tacos as described by Andy. Sounds great!!!!! The fish tacos are something I use to do decades ago. I'm very use to no fires and no keeping trout, even where legal. Just me. Frying pans are reserved for car camping, as I try for as low impact as I can. If I were camping some where like Pleasant Valley Res. on the Owens, or along Rock or Bishop Creek, I just may try those again. :) Last time I had them, I was camping at San Onofre and they were made from surf perch. Some garlic and lime goes great....
AndyMac321
Topix Novice

Post by AndyMac321 »

I added Spanish rice into the mix last time. It was awesome!