TR: North Lake-Puppet Lake 8/31-9/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: North Lake-Puppet Lake 8/31-9/3

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice TR report M!!!! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Some really nics pics as well. Seeing shots of Mt. Humphreys in the alpen glow just never gets old. Guess I'm old school, but your statement that "we grabbed the tents at the last minute" kinda freaked me out a bit. I never go in without some sort of rain shelter. Not always a tent, but at least a bivy and tarp/pancho. I like a light pack, but dislike sleeping wet and cold even more!!! Again, thanks for the TR and pics!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I enjoy that area because there are an infinite number of ways to wander, with lakes in seemingly every direction. Thanks for bringing back memories. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: North Lake-Puppet Lake 8/31-9/3

Post by Bluewater »

This is awesome! I was in Humphries a week before and got hit by those monsoon storms for five days straight. We headed the other direction but I can't wait to check out Carol and Puppet. Thanks for the preview!
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

Troutdog 59 wrote: Guess I'm old school, but your statement that "we grabbed the tents at the last minute" kinda freaked me out a bit. I never go in without some sort of rain shelter. Not always a tent, but at least a bivy and tarp/pancho. I like a light pack, but dislike sleeping wet and cold even more!!! Again, thanks for the TR and pics!!!
We were planning on only bringing tarps and bivys, but we knew the weather was about to take a turn so we grabbed the tents. Also, youre right, mt humphreys in alpenglow is AWESOME!!

Dave, he is retarded. I keep telling him to bend his barbs and he just doesnt. I think its too funny that he caught his chin!
Bluewater wrote:This is awesome! I was in Humphries a week before and got hit by those monsoon storms for five days straight. We headed the other direction but I can't wait to check out Carol and Puppet. Thanks for the preview!
Yah the monsoons the week before were prettty intese, i was up in mammoth the week before and had to deal with it while camping at Convict. Carol and puppet are the same, but it is a really fun pass!
kpeter wrote:I enjoy that area because there are an infinite number of ways to wander, with lakes in seemingly every direction. Thanks for bringing back memories. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves!
I agree, i felt like everywhere we went there were more lakes. My biggest pet peeve when i normally go backpacking is just staying in one place. This trip we made it a point to check out as much as possible. I only wish that we could have checked out more of Glacier Divide.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

Hobbes, that's pumping! I just got back from the Sierra, and I confirm that it will always be there.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.