TR: Sphinx Crest Loop 7/16 - 7/20 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sphinx Crest Loop 7/16 - 7/20 2012

Post by windknot »

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up this highly entertaining report. Felt like I was right there with you. The pictures are great, and that alpenglow is of course amazing.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks as well and echo that it was very entertaining. I liked your sense of humor and grinned at your description of the marmot and its desire to appear stealthy while standing in the clear light of day. So true! They can do whatever they want, cuties that they are. :nod: (Except eat my backpack.)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Electra wrote: Shawn, always good memories of our meeting out there.
Hey Dan, likewise. It's been so long I didn't think you'd remember. That was my first of about four trips to the area. Sure hope you're doing well.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

TT,
I'm really impressed that you still carry books, and not just slinky, dinky little tomes. I used to lug a book along (my wife still calls me out for dragging Rise & Fall of the Third Reich on our honeymoon backpack), but nowadays I'd rather have an extra bag of nuts. Or, nothing.
I'm also impressed with folks who have climbed up Sphinx Creek. I've only ever come down that route and from your report and one a while back from wanderingdaisy, it's a helluva lot easier going down than up. Sliding down on reluctant willows is much easier than hacking up through them. Anyway, kudos for getting up there!
Finally, in the shot right after the columbine close up, were those all columbine? If so, that's definitely one of the mother lodes!
cg
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

cgundersen wrote:TT,
I'm really impressed that you still carry books, and not just slinky, dinky little tomes. I used to lug a book along (my wife still calls me out for dragging Rise & Fall of the Third Reich on our honeymoon backpack), but nowadays I'd rather have an extra bag of nuts. Or, nothing.
Gotta have the book. Especially on a solo trip. I don't think I've ever finished all of the trail mix I started out with, on any trip, but I have burned through books and been left with nothing to read. :eek: I'm careful to make sure that never happens again.
I'm also impressed with folks who have climbed up Sphinx Creek. I've only ever come down that route and from your report and one a while back from wanderingdaisy, it's a helluva lot easier going down than up. Sliding down on reluctant willows is much easier than hacking up through them. Anyway, kudos for getting up there!
Thanks! It really wasn't too bad--where I went up, I managed to avoid the worst of all that.
Finally, in the shot right after the columbine close up, were those all columbine? If so, that's definitely one of the mother lodes!
cg
Yup--all columbine. Patches like that all the way up. :cool:
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

TT,
Instead of book reading, I go wander around and fall down a lot........... the bloody legs remind me I'm not as deft as I used to be. Oh, well. But, the columbines are amazing, I saw a steady sprinkle on a traverse around Glacier Divide several years ago, but nothing like the field(s) you saw. Any more photos of the flowers?
cg
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

cgundersen wrote:TT,
Instead of book reading, I go wander around and fall down a lot........... the bloody legs remind me I'm not as deft as I used to be. Oh, well.
Heh...nor am I.

I'm a compulsive reader. I would probably have a panic attack if I ever got caught without written material. ;)
But, the columbines are amazing, I saw a steady sprinkle on a traverse around Glacier Divide several years ago, but nothing like the field(s) you saw. Any more photos of the flowers?
cg
Just a couple of close-ups. Too focused on balance to think much about shooting them on the way up the talus.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also encountered the columbines last year. Your photos are much better than mine. Oh well, here are my shots.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

TT/WD,
Thanks for the additional photos, and the incentive to get up there during the bloom! But, I still think I'll aim to go down Sphinx creek........
cg
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy: nice!

cgunderson: I'm not sure down would really be better than up...especially that stretch of talus leading up to (or down from) Sphinx Col.