WHite Chief Peak / 8-13-06

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

WHite Chief Peak / 8-13-06

Post by Shawn »

I'm beginning to think I make that crazy drive to Mineral King just for the cheeseburgers. Anyway, here's a TR.
http://www.theradioroom.org/WhiteChief/WhiteChief.htm
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

Nice pics Shawn! Oh man, you have no idea - we went to the Little Kern suspension bridge via Jerkey this weekend, and Sat was very smoky and no views but on the way out yesterday (Sun) the wind had changed and it was clear. Up north towards the head of the drainage by Florence/Vandever you could see the fire burning away. It didn't look super big but it sure was putting out alot of smoke. It was about 1/2 way up to the treeline and headed up. Fortunately it seems to be in a bit of a pocket, hopefully they'll get it under control.

Nice trip, man!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Here's that fire, as seen from the south side (off the Jordan Trail near the Jerkey cutoff):

"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Awesome pics Shawn. Looks like a great time :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

Very nice pictures and report Shawn. I love the picture of Eagle Lake from the pass. Have you been putting chicken wire around your vehicle while hiking every trip?

I'm going to try to get up there to hike to Sawtooth Peak the middle of September.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the comments -

It looks like I missed the worst part of the smoke Krudler - nice photo.

Kathy - I only used the chicken wire routine in May. FWIW, I didn't see any Marmots around the parking lots on Sunday. The trailhead parking to Sawtooth was completely full. I think your car will be fine in September.

Shawn

PS. Look forward to meeting you and the gang for Ritter at the end of the month.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

This is the fuzzy view of the fire's smoke on 8/11, from above Old Army Pass. Wind was keeping most smoke, and clouds, out over the desert.
There were/ are more (lightning) fires to the east near South Fork Kern.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Shawn: I'm looking forward to the Ritter trip too. I haven't hiked with anyone in the group heading to Ritter before except for Peter, so it will be nice to meet you, Harry, and Charles.

Kathy
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Very beautiful pictures..Thank you for sharing them. I have never been on that side of the Sierra..it is very beautiful. I love the two rock islands in Eagle Lake :)