Upper Twin TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Upper Twin TR

Post by riverwalker »

I had the oppurtunity to take the whole family backpacking in mid August. I know a little slow on the TR but better late than never. I am trying to be a lot better about posting TRs since I enjoy all of yours so much.

For some reason, all of our camping/walking trips coincided with the summer's heat spells. This was no exception; at least we were up high. We picked up our permit at 8am in Prather and were on the trail by 10:30. My boys are 4, 4, and 6 years old. I took my oldest on a backpacking trip 2 summers ago and it was the twins turn. I was hoping to take them out individually for their first like their older brother but I couldn't squeeze three trips in this summer, maybe next summer.
Here we are at the trail head

We got to Upper Twin Lake at 1:30. The twins wore their small packs almost the whole way. I realized they were pretty heavy when we stopped to eat some lunch. I ended up giving them a water bottle last minute at the trail head in addition to their hydration packs plus the days food, a jacket, and their toy the chose to bring. My wife carried their packs for a half a mile and then gave it back to them. They all did great and didn't complain and said it was easy when they got to camp. I am not sure they would have said it was easy 30 minutes earlier:) We stayed for three days and two nights. We explored around the lake and found what my boys deemed Crystal Mountain. They loved all the decomposing marble and finding calcite crystals. The water was perfect in the lake and the boys had a blast making mud pies and cooling off in the water. We made a log raft the second day and I swam the boys to the island on it. We also caught many fish and they each had the chance to real some in. I normally don't keep any but I wanted to give them the opportunity to experience fresh fish so we kept two for dinner the second night. We had thunderstorms threaten the second afternoon but they stayed far enough away to stay somewhat relaxed. The boys loved the thunder and we had a few sprinkles. Below are a few of the highlights from the trip.
Playing Go Fish
Brothers at sunrise
Crystal Mountain
On our way to the island
If you only knew how long it took to get this shot. I have about 20 of them wrestling each other and goosing one another.
Appetizer for night two.
cheesy family photo
More crystals before hiking out
:D It is imperative that you look at the above shot closely!!!!
My boys!
Thanks for reading!
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Upper Twin TR

Post by DriveFly44 »

Awesome TR. So neat to be able to share the beauty of the sierras with your family. Upper twin is a great place to take beginners, kids. That pic of your son taking care of business in the background is too funny.

Ladd
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

BTW if I had known my son was taking a leak right by the creek I would have had him pinch it and dragged him up the hill. I didn't even notice this until a week after the trip. My boys know better so judging by the angle of the arc and distance he must have really had to go!
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Hahaha that picture is priceless. Great job, Dad and Mom! Sounds like a fun trip was had by all, and this should keep them wanting to come back for more trips in the future.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Well done for getting them out there so young. 3 days/2 nights at a base camp is definitely the best way to start.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Your report made me smile. I admire his arc and aim. Your boys will never forget!!

Mike
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

You are one smart Dad. Good choices!
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Way to go!

Julie
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Great job!

Cory and Julie
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Timberline »

High fives to mom & dad for pulling off such a successful adventure. The cheesy family photo says it all. Loved it! (the voice you're hearing is another dad). Thanks for sharing.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!